Should i Cold crash a hefe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pro breweries transfer with purged lines (good ones) and flush the beer through with De-aerated water (again.. Good ones).

They transfer cold, because it keeps co2 in sokution and reduces foaming and because they drive co2 in during transfer to reach the co2 spec.

Risk of oxygen pickup in a well purged line is negligible, but all the way from mashing in you have a risk, so good processes from start to finish (packing) reduce aeration, (hot side or cold) which in turn reduces oxidation.

There are a lot of things we can't do at home that the (good) commercials do. But that's the beauty of home brewing!

I always cold crash everything I'm going to keg. I like the results. I also don't want temps to fluctuate too much by putting a warm keg into my keg fridge where I store my yeasts.

Have CC'd hefe's for well over a week, and they only really drop clear towards the very bottom of the keg.

Yes, you should cold crash a hefe. If you use a proper yeast there will still be the RIGHT amount of yeast in suspension. Do it. It's the best way.

Latest posts

Back