short brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sticksy

Reaction score
so, I have a couple of 10L food grade buckets. not alot of time or cash. would this idea produce a tasty brew?

300g DME in 3L water to boil;
30g cascade @ 60min
20g nelson sauv @ 30min
10g nelson sauv @ 10min

10g of each at flameout?

strain into 10l bucket w 1kg dex or 1kg brew enhancer 2. top w cold water. pitch yeast.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I'd do it all with DME. Might be pretty heavy on the hops with only a 10L batch. I'd plug it into your favourite recipe designer to check IBUs.

hmmm. PC is busted so only got my phone josh. what if I did the same but sub the dex for 500g dme in a 20l ferment ?

cool! any other suggestions?

Nothing wrong with a touch of dex in an extract brew. Say 250g per 20 L and make the rest of the fermentables up with fresh dme.
Your fermentation and conditioning will be as important (or more) as the recipe though.

Mate I live at Samford and have a spare fridge and 30ltr fermenter that you can have for free... The fridge may need some fiddling as the freezer works perfect but the fridge only gets to 15c... I can't work out how to get it working so am getting rid of it (still have 3 other beer only fridges!).... All you would need is an STC 1000 and you are set for temp control!

He'll. I'll even throw in a couple of cubes of brews that I am not happy with (strange bittering etc.... I'm not happy with them but they would still be heaps better than an average DME brew that you have mentioned above).... You can have the wort... I would just want my cubes back :)

Ps... Yes this is a shameless attempt to get the fridge removed without me having to head to a dump!

wow thats awesome mate but im in a tiny arse duplex while we save for house with a two yr old and a one week old. I can barely scratch my bum and set up my fermenter let alone having a second fridge! I appreciate the offer though mate.

as for the dex I was pricing it all and I reckon ill get a 1kg DME bag, use 300g in the hop boil and the rest in the fermenter. has anyone seen the grain bags they sell at brewers choice?

http://brewerschoice.com.au/shop/grain-packs/grain-kit-pale-alebitter/

could I steep some/all of this im my 3L before the boil or is it for all grain brews and im better of with some other single grain?

Can't tell too much from the description and pic, but looks like its mainly some lighter crystal, with a touch of something darker.

If it is as they say and is all crystal malt, it would be fine to steep. Just make sure you give it a good 15min+ boil. If you're unsure of using grains, do a bit of reading. It's really not that hard, but can provide something extra to a brew.

Would probably add a nice touch of grain character, would definitely add something extra to an otherwise all DME brew. For $2 and an extra few minutes of time, it would be worth trying IMHO. Especially if you're only doing a 10L brew, with all those hops it would be good to have a bit more of a malt flavour backbone. While the DME would give a good malt flavour, the extra grains would help provide a bit more depth.

If it's Crystal, you can steep overnight in your 3 lt (cold water) or 30mins in 65'c water, strain out the grain, add your 250-300g DME and do your boil, for a 10lt brew, personally I'd not use (any) more than 100g dex

Cheers

Yob said:
for a 10lt brew, personally I'd not use (any) more than 100g dex

Cheers
Yes. My recommendation of 250g was for standard full size (20-25L) so I have edited to reflect that. Brew dependent of course - more for a Belbian or even an au style where an AG recipe might use sugar. All extract can sometimes not attenuate fantastically and replacing some malt with a touch of dex can balance that out.

yeah ive ditched the 10l bucket idea and am going to do a full 23l brew. im definatly giving that grain bag a crack and wil use half now half in another brew.
am I being too heavy handed with the hops? it would be nice to have some left over for another brew (getting a 60g bag of each) and make the other half happy in the process!

woild I get enough bittering/flavour from 20g of each hop? (same timings)

Latest posts

Back