Short boil extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonk1972

Reaction score
Just need to confirm if you can do a extract brew in a 30min boil instead of a 60min as i have found this recipe that boils the exract for 30min before adding hops for the last 30min and additional hops at flame out.. it seems to me that the first 30mins a waste off time

Well you would be wrong in that supposition. Boiling does a lot more than just bitter the beer, personally I think adding hops at 30 minutes is more of a strange decision than boiling for 60.
You just need more hops to get the same bitterness, without the benefits in hop taste and aroma you get from adding hops late - most of the taste and aroma from a 30 minute addition will be lost and less bitterness gained - a loose loose proposition

A bit of light readingView attachment 02_-_The_function_of_wort_boiling11.pdf
Mark

The answer is yes you can but as suggested above there are a number of good reasons for boiling besides hop bittering.
As above, you'll get better bitterness with earlier additions, better flavour with late additions.

Some people will do a short boil for extract and for AG. My preference is always for a longer one.

I have done 30 minute extract boils but boiling less hops for 60 minutes gives a nicer bitterness imo.

I've been doing extract brewing for a year or more now and virtually all have been with doing a 30 min boil. - occasionally I have done a 45 mins boil All brews have come out great.

I've also seen Coopers recipes (kit with specialty grain additions) also that suggest you simply boil the steeped grain liquid until it boils then take it off the stove, which is less than 30 mins as well.

It's more about pasteurisation of inputs for me and a little about the hop additions and bittering.

Cheers,

Pete

Back