Shop Bought Vs Home Grown Hops.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grow hops so I can sell the zomes to other brewers a make a bit of a profit :ph34r: :lol:

.... seriously though I think there's a pyschological link to the more we contribute to the process the more we enjoy the product, even if you wish to argue which type of hop is objectively better.

I have only started growing hops this year and am keenly looking forward to harvest time. :D
For me it's all about quality control, so generous applications of manure are a good start towards growing sweet tasty hops.:lol:
Noone wants their hops to be like the tasteless vegetables we have all heard about.

Cost Benefit Analysis..waste of time

Careful mate. Once you start applying the cold blade of 'cost - benefit' to hobbies, its a slippery slope down to bird watching.
...or Tooheys Gold..

I am surprised by the cost comparison.

That argument is from people who spend far too much time fertilising them etc.

They are weeds and need only water and sun and the latter isn't all that important (mine dont get sun until early afternoon, one not until after 3pm). I have rainwater so water costs nothing but the electricity to pump it to the garden.

I get well in excess of 1kg per year dry now from 5 plants, more than i use. The only thing they get is water and an annual dose of horse poo (free from inlaws neighbours, i do have to shovel it myself)

Pelletised hops aren't a patch on fresh hop flowers. I pack mine into 100g lots (vac packed so yes, you'll need one of those but i use ot for all sorts of foods as well) and when i use a bag the empty bag spends weeks in my brewery so that i can sniff it every time i walk by. It reaks of gorgeous hop aroma for weeks. Pelletised hops don't do this, they turn dusty in days.

It requires patience though. It took me until the 3rd season to get a sufficient crop but i an now technically self sufficient and to the OP, i only drink as much as you.

I am biased though. I don't brew all that often so when i do i go for a tried and true recipe - my golden ale using which homegrown hop i feel like.

When you can buy the best hop (Victoria) I may give up hop growing but until then my Victoria rye golden ale can't be made by any commercial brewer. Only me :D

And that is why i brew :chug:

If home grown are good enough for the brewer with arguably the most popular beer in the joint, then I'll give it a shot. I'm actually doing a close version this weekend so Ive got a crowd pleaser over Christmas.

Now then....who malts their own barley...

If home grown are good enough for the brewer with arguably the most popular beer in the joint, then I'll give it a shot. I'm actually doing a close version this weekend so Ive got a crowd pleaser over Christmas.

Funny enough...thinking about it (for the shits n giggles- cause it's my new fave saying).

I'm not hard core enough to bother growing it on my quarter acre nirvana yet!

Dave70 said:

Theres atleast a few people here that do.
Give it a crack!

Home grown hops make a bigger impact to the beer. Home malt is just for the fun of doing it.

Reviving an old topic here.

Am interested in growing some hop plants and giving home hopping a go. Am very early into researching the matter.

Where would one be able to acquire hop plant varieties???

Also, after the plant has grown and the flowers are picked, how do people add them- by drying out? boiling like store bought ones?

Droopy said:
Reviving an old topic here.

Am interested in growing some hop plants and giving home hopping a go. Am very early into researching the matter.

Where would one be able to acquire hop plant varieties???

Also, after the plant has grown and the flowers are picked, how do people add them- by drying out? boiling like store bought ones?
try ebay - search hop rhizome, got a cascade myself this week.

I only got my Chinook up to harvest this year. I also have Cluster, Goldings and Saaz.

Last years harvest 170g of Chinook. Just add milk.

Chinook.jpg

Cluster.

Cluster.jpg

Just planted my first rhizomes.

I'm growing them for two reasons.

Firstly, it's the satisfaction of home grown produce. I think that with some care and attention I can probably grow just as good if not better aroma hops at home than I can get from the store. The investment is pretty minimal, and I'm going to get a good sense of accomplishment from it.

The other reason is that I'll be able to get some interesting varieties. This year I bought one Cascade rhizome which is pretty standard, but I also bought a Red Earth rhizome. There's very very little information about them, and I think it's going to be really cool to have a beer made using some hops that as far as I can tell only one commercial brewery has ever used.

In the future I plan to buy more rare or interesting varieties like Vic Secret, Enigma or Feux-Coeur Francais if I can get my hands on them.

Niksko said:
In the future I plan to buy more rare or interesting varieties like Vic Secret, Enigma or Feux-Coeur Francais if I can get my hands on them.
Don't forget the famed 'Dwarf Cluster' variety. They're pretty good, you should try and get hold of some of them. :ph34r:

hoppy2B said:
Don't forget the famed 'Dwarf Cluster' variety. They're pretty good, you should try and get hold of some of them. :ph34r:
Best thing about this, is you get to mistreat your plants like Hoppy, he gave them a pack a day as baby zomes :ph34r:

Back