Shepherd Neame Spitfire Recipe? Ag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
Anyone have any info on this beer ??. Had one last night, and it was faaarken great!!.

:beer:
There is a full recipe for this beer in Clone Brews page 110. I have not brewed this recipe but I have brewed others from this book and they have all turned out OK.
Cheers Altstart

Cheers stuster, have got it down will use it as a base. Thanks mate!

first tip is to watch for me109s' coming out of the sun.

Sorry couldn't resist.
Jayse

jayse said:
first tip is to watch for me109s' coming out of the sun.

Sorry couldn't resist.
Jayse
[post="116964"][/post]​

:lol:

Dumkopf! Ein Englander. :p

Warren -

Just came home from work with a bottle of it so will see if i can come up with anything more constructive than start up the engines and remove all the wheelblocks a bit later.

Born to booze
Jayse

From the CAMRA Real Ale Almanac (Roger Protz):

OG 1043; ABV 4.7%; English Pale Malt (halcyon) 83%; crystal malt 10%; cereal adjuncts 10% (this is Protz's addition, not mine :p )
35 units of colour (EBC); Target hops for bitterness; EKG for aroma; hop pellets; dry hopped

From clone brews - for a 19L brew (adjust all figures accordingly) :

3.7kg British pale malt
113g wheat malt
170g toasted (?) pale malt
170g british amber malt

mash at 65.5c for 90 min

90 minute boil
20g Target 8.5% 90m
28g EKG 15m
14g EKG 1m

ferment with Wyeast 1084 Irish (I would have thought an English strain?) 20-22c

14g EKG dry hop in to 2ndry after 5-7 days

I had a commercial bottle tonight and was initially underwhelmed :angry: . However, at the end of the pint, I really wished I had a second to try :eek:

Bugger, yet more homework to do :super:

awrabest, stu

Being in the Batz camp on wheat beers, and being sensitive to the taste, I would have guessed more wheat than that, from my vague memory of trying one.

Guest Lurker said:
Being in the Batz camp on wheat beers, and being sensitive to the taste, I would have guessed more wheat than that, from my vague memory of trying one.
[post="117104"][/post]​

<_< Re reading Clone Brews suggests I may have missed a further 113g of Torrified Wheat, from their suggested recipe. Which would still be well short of the CAMRA almanac's 10% cereal adjuncts. CAMRA's is based on brewery provided information, I would trust more to that.

The second option on Doc's DB is the CAMRA/Protz (with more correct arithmetic).

The first from Doc's DB suggests up to 12% wheat: 75% Pale, 8% X, 5% A, 4% WM, 8% TW,

As ever with Clone Brews, take it with a pinch of grain ;)

Not a bad drop, but not a match for Ruddles County IMHO...

Cheers Ross

Apologies if these have been posted before:

Spitfire5.jpg

Some that didn't make it too print:...

dont_mention_the_war.jpg

bottle_of_britain.jpg

messer_scmidt.jpg

no_fokker_comes_close.jpg

no_nazi_aftertaste.jpg

sitcom.jpg

Spot_the_ball.jpg

victoria_cross.jpg