Sheet Of Coolite Required

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Any thoughts on where I could scrounge a large sheet of coolite (expanded polystyrene)? Say about an inch thick in the old money. I want to cut a rectangle to fit exactly into the opening of my new kegmate so it jams in perfectly, then shut the door on it.

kegmate1.jpg

As well as fermenting I'll be using the KM for lagering at -1 for up to two months. Door won't be opened but I have identified the door panel itself as the major point of loss - the door on the Kegmate seems to be industry standard for fridges and fine for the normal opening and closing mode and serving kegs, but I would like to turn the interior space into a set-and-forget subzero crypt for a couple of months and reckon the coolite would be the go.

I wonder what businesses would end up with sheets that size after unpacking their widgets delivery? Local shops here have heaps of little broccoli boxes etc and the Retravision etc get coolite leftovers but they are too small and usually moulded in weird ways to fit the item. Who actually sells coolite I wonder?

I know some guys modding their fridges use corflute as in real estate signs and I suppose cool room panel wouldn't be out of the question, but I like the idea and simplicity of the polystyrene.

Any thoughts on where I could scrounge a large sheet of coolite (expanded polystyrene)? Say about an inch thick in the old money. I want to cut a rectangle to fit exactly into the opening of my new kegmate so it jams in perfectly, then shut the door on it.

View attachment 44738

As well as fermenting I'll be using the KM for lagering at -1 for up to two months. Door won't be opened but I have identified the door panel itself as the major point of loss - the door on the Kegmate seems to be industry standard for fridges and fine for the normal opening and closing mode and serving kegs, but I would like to turn the interior space into a set-and-forget subzero crypt for a couple of months and reckon the coolite would be the go.

I wonder what businesses would end up with sheets that size after unpacking their widgets delivery? Local shops here have heaps of little broccoli boxes etc and the Retravision etc get coolite leftovers but they are too small and usually moulded in weird ways to fit the item. Who actually sells coolite I wonder?

I know some guys modding their fridges use corflute as in real estate signs and I suppose cool room panel wouldn't be out of the question, but I like the idea and simplicity of the polystyrene.

Try http://www.foamsales.com.au/shop/categorie...styrene-Sheets-

Otherwise try your building supplies place.

We use then in the photography studio as light modifiers.

Cheers
Steve

Your friendly local whitegoods appliance store would probably throw heaps of poly foam out.

+1 for above, see if you can grab a few bits of packing poly from the bins at the good guys or the likes. Should do a good job of it.

I'll take a measurement and find out from the local stores, but mostly the coolite seems to be top and bottom mouldings for fridges, washing machines et- would Bunnings sell the stuff I wonder (60k round trip from here, might give them a ring)

Also check out any local workshops. When I used to work in my trade of sheetmetal we used to get pallets of polystyrene in and they would always have a polystyrene cover sheet, that was about 6m thick; often it was just thown away.

QldKev

Never seen it at bunnings

It gets used on when packing large flat surfaces, like whiteflies and industrial and commercial IT equipment

iPhone :)

Try whitegoods instead of whiteflies!

I have a 35mm thick coolroom panel if you want it Bribie.

Fibre glass wholesalers usually stock it; I think 1200 X 600 sheets if you have to buy it.

I have a 35mm thick coolroom panel if you want it Bribie.

Actually there are some sheet metal workers in the area who make pontoons for canal estates, I'll nose around there. Ratchie, been working tonight just got home, thanks for your offer - will take it up if no luck with the coolite. :)

Maybe try a green grocer and ask for any old broccoli boxes. They should give the to you for free. I have done this and I reckon it has improved my fridges efficiency.

HC :)

edit: spooling

Hey Bribie,

How about a camping mat - less likely to break up on use, cheap and flexible.

$8.90 at BCF here: BCF Moronfield is likely your closest!

114132.jpg

try battery world so similar battery place , car batterys ect get shipped with with large sheets about inch thick..

Back