• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Sg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[/quote
What type of capper is it ? Is it the hammer type or a proper one with the adjustable height ?

Cheers
Beerbelly
[/quote]

I think it's already gone :)

I recall as a kid seeing battery acid hydrometers in my grandad's service station that looked similar. Not saying this are what they are, but guys, just be really careful and make sure that you have a good look into these before any bad can happen.

I make no claim to know anything about battery acid and testing it. just somehting I remember as a kid. Sorry Warb, no disrespect ment here...

I have some spare hydrometer tubes and will test tap water, methylated spirit and maybe some cheap whisky to see what happens. I collect odd bits of instrumentation so worst comes to worst it will fit in with that.

all good, these sink to the bottom in metho and float in water, that may help?. however I have sent out some to a few lads so im sure the results will come in.

all good, these sink to the bottom in metho and float in water, that may help?. however I have sent out some to a few lads so im sure the results will come in.

I did put my hand up to check em out (inc the $10 postage), but it's yet to arrive, so when it gets here I'll do the tests and report back. So much to do, so little time..... :p

I did put my hand up to check em out (inc the $10 postage), but it's yet to arrive, so when it gets here I'll do the tests and report back. So much to do, so little time..... :p

no problem mate, they left a few days ago, should get them very soon.

Ok, so mine arrived today, and after taking a sample from a bottle of scotch (which shall remain nameless) and not accounting for temperture etc. the hydro gave me a reading of not quite 44% (about the width of the marking line below 44%). Not bad considering the spirit is labelled at 43% (the bottle temp was/is around the 24C mark).
mystery_hydo_test.jpg

So these are alcohol hydrometers for spirits below 50% ABV. Might be of some use to the home distilling crowd, should there be anyone here partaking of this illegal in AU hobby. <_<

Hmmmm. I may have to test mine again. I filled a hydrometer tune with red wine and got a reading of zero.

Cheers for sending anyway Warb, even if it doesn't work out to be functional for me.

got the capper, thanks mate, much appreciated

no problem mate, they left a few days ago, should get them very soon.

Thanks Warb,

Got it this morning, and as you can see from my quick and dirty test (I'm waiting a few days for some better test solutions to settle down post mixing) they would seem to be sub 50% alcohol hydrometers. The down side is that the calibration temp isn't recorded (I'm going to assume 20C till I can get the three visible Chinese characters translated), and the graduations aren't uniform (30-40% range is worst with the graduations being near random in width: big, little, bigger, tinny etc.), so I would expect that they would be good for a quick look kind of measurement, but not for serious measurements.

Still for the price I won't knock them, they do work.

BTW The test solutions I have made up are: 10%, 25%, 40% and 50%. I'll report on accuracy when I get time to do the test later this week.

Latest posts

Back