Setting Up A Campsite Keg System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't try using a plate chiller designed for wort, they're not meant to be run at high pressure, and you will split them (it's been done!) and they won't work well anyway since they're designed to have counterflow liquid. Instead get a cold plate, these things are designed for jockey boxes. Reasonable price from the chi company

This my camping/portable set up. It is a mini wheelie bin ($10) which has been insulated on the outside with two layers of camping mat and then wrapped with duct tape. The lid is insulated with camping mat and inside it has expanderfoam. Has a drain to get rid of melting ice. The tap is a Perlick 525SS and the gas bottle is a 540 gram Dieman. It can fit a 9 litre corny or the 23 litre keg in the picture.
Works well and a bag of ice will last a day or so on a hot day in the shade.

Portable 1.JPG

Portable 2.JPG

Portable 3.JPG

I love your set up, looks great but appears to have cost you only a small amount.

A+ for effort...

Billygoat that looks awesome!Going to try and build something similar for sure

I hunted high and low for a bucket or container of the right size (around 300 mm dia) and couldn't find one. Went to the tip one weekend and someone had thrown out a swimming pool filter and pump set up. The housing for the filter was the right diameter, it was a bit high so I trimmed it to fit with a jigsaw. It is made of a really hard plastic of about 6 mm thickness.
Some people have used 300 mm PVC pipe but I couldn't source any.

Edit - The mould I used is 340 mm dia, using that size meant I could fit my 23 litre keg in, if you're only going to use a 9L or 19L corny keg, 300 mm dia will do. Gives enough room to fit ice around the keg.

Latest posts

Back