Setting Up A Campsite Keg System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other thing you can do is get a second empty keg, purge it with CO2 and pressurise it to 80psi or so with CO2 - then use a gas to gas tube with a valve to keep pressure in the dispensing keg when required. Fussy but it will work.

Great idea.

The other thing you can do is get a second empty keg, purge it with CO2 and pressurise it to 80psi or so with CO2 - then use a gas to gas tube with a valve to keep pressure in the dispensing keg when required. Fussy but it will work.

Assuming you mean kpa and not psi..... that's a good idea...... have you tried this?... if you have then how long would you expect it to last?

Then again you might as well just take the gas bottle if you have a small/ish one.

Yeah or you could just get a sodastream c02 bottle & adapter. Takes up shitloads less room in your vehicle than carting along an empty keg.

Damn all this talk of camping, beer and it being 28C outside makes me want to pack the van & piss off up the coast for a week B)

My camp kegerator.

View attachment 56936

You can't see in the picture but the drain plug is at the top. I drilled a hole through the plug and ran a line through with gas disconnects for the kegs then hooked up a portable keg charger on the other end, that way I can put more gas in without opening up the esky. Both kegs have to run the same pressure though. I fill it with about 5 bags of ice around the kegs and it easily stays cold for a couple of days.

Would be my choice as it is insulated (and cheaper).

Just one question, does it leak or do you use "okky" straps to ensure it stays closed?

tnd

Yeah or you could just get a sodastream c02 bottle & adapter. Takes up shitloads less room in your vehicle than carting along an empty keg.

Damn all this talk of camping, beer and it being 28C outside makes me want to pack the van & piss off up the coast for a week B)

Its 18c in Melbourne and shit no ones thinking of camping here

Its 18c in Melbourne and shit no ones thinking of camping here

I am!

I am supprised the jockey/miracle box has only been mentioned once or twice? It is surely the most efficient ice cooling solution with a reasonable size footprint. Is there a reason you guys have gone for a single keg cooling setup?

so with these units,with a pre carbed keg,you just screw it on and it provides serving pressure?will one do a keg?no reg required?

charger.jpg

gas is not the problem, I have a keg charger and tap, its just the unit to keep it all cold. I have the 300mm PVC stormwater pipe so I just need to find something for a base and a lid.

They dont seem to be insulated?

How long do they last in hot weather (30C+)?

tnd

Ice is cheap. :icon_cheers:

We sit them in a shady spot and they seem to last most of the day but then again we camp in early spring in country Vic/NSW (Swan Hill region). We take a massive techi ice esky that holds 6-8 bags of ice so enough to last us for cooling down these for at least 5 days. It's a half an hours drive to civilisation from where we camp on a private property.

Every other time i use it it is for half a day and with 1 bag of ice that is more than fine.

That said, i am impressed by the more high tech versions. Would love one an all in one unit.

We have no electricity (and generators are banned by choice) so temprites/fridges are out so ice is the only way of cooling.

so with these units,with a pre carbed keg,you just screw it on and it provides serving pressure?will one do a keg?no reg required?

As long as no dipshit squirts the whole bulb in, yes.

Remove the QD until someone complains it's pouring too slow. Attach it and give one or two little squirts. Disconnect it and hide it until someone complains again.

Then, and only then, will it dispense one keg.

As long as no dipshit squirts the whole bulb in, yes.

Remove the QD until someone complains it's pouring too slow. Attach it and give one or two little squirts. Disconnect it and hide it until someone complains again.

Then, and only then, will it dispense one keg.
LMAO that's exactly what I did the first time ;)
My beer was flying out the keg!

Ahhhhh. Now it makes sense.

LMAO that's exactly what I did the first time
wink.gif

My beer was flying out the keg!

Yeah I totally would have done that too.

We have no electricity (and generators are banned by choice) so temprites/fridges are out so ice is the only way of cooling.

The fridge in my rig can run for 4 - 5 days in summer (if parked in the shade) off a dedicated deep cycle battery that's under the hood. Then I've got a 500W fold-able solar panel that charges the battery during the day and that will keep the fridge going indefinitely.

Assuming you mean kpa and not psi..... that's a good idea...... have you tried this?... if you have then how long would you expect it to last?

Then again you might as well just take the gas bottle if you have a small/ish one.

No I do mean psi - when the flow starts to trickle from your dispense keg just open the valve a tiny bit to let some CO2 in. It is helpful if you have a gauge on the dispense side of the valve. You will have to do this less and less often as more room is made in the dispense keg.

Obviously it is less ideal than a gas bottle, but requires no extra parts for those of us with less wallet to play with.

Hers is my portable gas unit. couple of hits of the button to bring pouring back up. Fits in esky next to keg.

Cheers

So what is that thing that has the gas in it? Soda Stream?

I can't find the pic or thread, but Florian puts a 19lt keg in a foam box from the green grocers. Like a broccoli box, he duct tapes up the lid, it's filled with ice and lasts a couple of days. Brilliant! Oh and free!

mobile_setup_flow_restrictor.jpg

Note the cut out corners on top around the keg, take the four triangle 'lids' out, fill with ice, put 'lids' back on.
There are those long plastic flow restrictors sitting in the dip tube for a good pour even on a highly carbed Hefeweizen.

The Christmas edition:
XMAS_schwarzbier.jpg

Latest posts

Back