Setting Up A Campsite Keg System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My camp kegerator.

beer_box_7.JPG

You can't see in the picture but the drain plug is at the top. I drilled a hole through the plug and ran a line through with gas disconnects for the kegs then hooked up a portable keg charger on the other end, that way I can put more gas in without opening up the esky. Both kegs have to run the same pressure though. I fill it with about 5 bags of ice around the kegs and it easily stays cold for a couple of days.

My camp kegerator.

View attachment 56936

You can't see in the picture but the drain plug is at the top. I drilled a hole through the plug and ran a line through with gas disconnects for the kegs then hooked up a portable keg charger on the other end, that way I can put more gas in without opening up the esky. Both kegs have to run the same pressure though. I fill it with about 5 bags of ice around the kegs and it easily stays cold for a couple of days.
Brilliant.
Nev

Heres my camping set up
2 Stainless steal coils in an esky one fits inside the other
2 taps and use a soda stream bottle to dispense :beerbang:

Heres my camping set up
2 Stainless steal coils in an esky one fits inside the other
2 taps and use a soda stream bottle to dispense :beerbang:

YES!!!! YES!!! YES!!!

The last time i saw something like this was at chappos bogan brew day! What diameter is the SS tubing???

YES!!!! YES!!! YES!!!

The last time i saw something like this was at chappos bogan brew day! What diameter is the SS tubing???

It is 10-12mm but slightly flat
Came out of old Temprite

this i s what i have for my caravan
IMG_0348.jpg

but have now just about finished my offroad camper trailer with slide out 80 litre waeco fridge and gas fired pizza oven ... and 4 keg system on the drawbar lined with cool room panelling

sensational stuff lads. I have a length of heavy duty 300mm PVC sewer pipe that would be perfect. Just need to buy an end cap and glue it on and make a lid. Maybe even pick up another Celli tap.

Steve

Not a great idea but 16g of CO2 is unlikely to be lethal.

Possibly not lethal although if you've ever known anyone who's really into N2O bulbs, they may do a few in a row without pausing.

Let's leave it at 'not a great idea.' A fine compromise.

Now I just need to buy a shank that I can use with one of my Cellis from home. If I just bought a length of 3/8" BSP threaded pipe with a nut on one end I think I should be able to just screw my Celli onto that for camping applications....?

Steve

Boxes of 300 and company is called finewhip. 300 food grade is $439.95 with free delivery ($1.47/bulb), 10 of us went in so a box of 30 cost us $44 each.

For those wanting to save even more coin, 300 non food grade is $349.95 with free delivery ($1.17/bulb). I've used the non food grade in the past but for an extra 30c we decided to go the safer option.

Since, I assume the beer's already carbed up, could you jury rig any source of pressure up to the quick disconnect?
Like say a 4x4 size compressor (regulated of course) or even a bike pump in a pinch?

Since, I assume the beer's already carbed up, could you jury rig any source of pressure up to the quick disconnect?
Like say a 4x4 size compressor (regulated of course) or even a bike pump in a pinch?

Pumping air into the keg will work, and they sell hand pumps for that purpose, but the beer will go flat after a day or 2. Fine if you know you're going to finish the keg that day or the next. Shit if you dont finish it all.

Yes, that would work fine if you, like us, are going through the keg in less than a day. Bulbs of air would work fine too or N2.

When i pull beer through the handpump i simply leave the pressure relief valve open, you could just as easily pump from a cube albeit slightly less clarsey. I could take that with me but other than the weight my megaswill drinking mates would disapprove of warm, flat beer. I tolerate the heathens as they do drink my beer even if it's served ice cold.

The 'portakegs' in the photo are made from 300mm stormwater pipe with a base fixed to it that is watertight. The lid is wood and has a hinge on the back to flip open. The taps are very cheap flow control jobbies.

300mm Stormwater pipe would be very expensive wouldn't it. It looks great, but at what cost?? :huh:

Yes 300mm PVC Stormwater pipe is very expensive but I picked up about 1.5m of it from a building site that was dumping it. I priced a slip on end cap for it today and they want $50 just for that. So I will make something up for a base.
Thinking I may just need to go with the little plastic Bronco tap with about 2 metres of beer line behind it to slow it down.

The other thing you can do is get a second empty keg, purge it with CO2 and pressurise it to 80psi or so with CO2 - then use a gas to gas tube with a valve to keep pressure in the dispensing keg when required. Fussy but it will work.

Back