Set Up For First Ag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyoz

Reaction score
Hey,

going to be doing my first ag this weekend hopefully after doing, pretty sure i got the set up all organised, not a huge one i might add, read plenty of books, watched plenty of videos, read plenty in the forums, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on my set up so far, i've attached photos

Cheers

2.JPG
1.JPG
3.JPG

going to be doing my first ag this weekend hopefully after doing, pretty sure i got the set up all organised, not a huge one i might add, read plenty of books, watched plenty of videos, read plenty in the forums, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on my set up so far, i've attached photos

I assume that there's holes cut in the underside of the copper pipe in your mash tun? Could be a long sparge if not... ;)

Where's the HLT?
Make sure you have a spare gas bottle handy - always hurts when it runs out mid-boil.

I assume that there's holes cut in the underside of the copper pipe in your mash tun? Could be a long sparge if not... ;)

Where's the HLT?
Make sure you have a spare gas bottle handy - always hurts when it runs out mid-boil.

don't worry theres plenty of holes cut into it, was going to us the big 50ltr pot to heat the strike water and then i have a smaller 20ltr pot to heat up sparge water while the first runnings is going into the 50ltr pot. i'll get another 50ltr pot a bit further down the track if i can make a decent brew from ag, or i guess i can just use the 20ltr pot to heat the strike water then the sparge water

the manifold might need to come in off the walls of the esky and maybe another track down the middle ?

don't worry theres plenty of holes cut into it, was going to us the big 50ltr pot to heat the strike water and then i have a smaller 20ltr pot to heat up sparge water while the first runnings is going into the 50ltr pot. i'll get another 50ltr pot a bit further down the track if i can make a decent brew from ag, or i guess i can just use the 20ltr pot to heat the strike water then the sparge water

Cool. What size batch are you doing? I'd assume with a 20L pot, you'd be looking at just a single batch, around 21L?

the manifold might need to come in off the walls of the esky and maybe another track down the middle ?

i had made a pvc manifold, which worked really well when i tested it, but i was worried about the pvc and how it would handle hot water, i read a posting on here somewhere saying the pvc might not handle the heat

you can just go from MLT to "holding container" (Fermenter) untill your finished sparging then put the wort from the "holding container" into the 50 ltr pot and your off.

i had made a pvc manifold, which worked really well when i tested it, but i was worried about the pvc and how it would handle hot water, i read a posting on here somewhere saying the pvc might not handle the heat

I have a false bottom but I think from the various discussions/threads I have read (siborg was the last that I remember making a manifold) talked about having the manifold off the edge ?

I have a false bottom but I think from the various discussions/threads I have read (siborg was the last that I remember making a manifold) talked about having the manifold off the edge ?

Yeah, I've got a falsie too so haven't read up on the specifics of manifold design but I do recall people talking about the above situation promoting channelling along the walls of the tun when you drain.

Yeah, I've got a falsie too so haven't read up on the specifics of manifold design but I do recall people talking about the above situation promoting channelling along the walls of the tun when you drain.

that sounds about right and I think there was something about the type of sparging that you do, if you batch it might not be an issue but if you fly it might be ?

Latest posts

Back