Session Ale Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hambone

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good session ale extract recipe? I can't see one in the recipe section.
Cheers

Does anyone have a good session ale extract recipe? I can't see one in the recipe section.
Cheers

What sort of beer are you after?

If you were after something hoppy, you could go 50/50 pale and wheat extract (which would be 75% pale, 25% wheat) to an OG of 1.040 or so, about 5 - 10 IBU of something for bittering and then load up on late hops for another 10 or 15 IBU. Ferment with a neutral sort ale yeast like US05/001/1056/Notto on the colder side 17C and dry hop once fermentation is done.

Yep that sounds about right. I like hoppy beers.

What batch size? Full volume boil or partial? If partial what size boil? What hops to you have on hand? I can knock a recipe together for you if you'd like; it would be based on one all grain recipe I've used all the time, adapted to extract.

Oh awesome thanks. It'd be 23l batch and I'm only doing extract at the moment with steeping grains and hops. So a boil would be fine but my pot is only about 5l I think. I don't have any hops left over at the moment so I'd purchase what I need. Hope that is the info you needed.

OK mate, here is a pale, hoppy session beer which should come in at around 4%. I haven't done an extract batch for 2 years, so I'm a bit rusty:

1.5kg light (or pale) dry malt extract
1kg wheat dry malt extract
OPTIONAL: 100g of caramalt (or some other super light crystal) steeped for 20 mins in ~65 - 70C water.

5L Boil for 30 mins total. Add 500g of your pale DME.

30 mins: 25g Motueka
10 mins: 25g Cascade (or Centennial)
5 mins: 25g Motueka
0 mins: 25g Cascade (or Centennial)

OPTIONAL: dry hop with as much hop as you please.

For yeast, I like nottingham or WLP051

You could swap your 1.5 kg of Light DME and your 30 mins hops for a tin of coopers mexican cerveza if you'd like. You'd do a 10 min hop boil and add the tin at the end.

Let me know how you go; also if there are any extract brewers out there that want to comment, please do so!!

Awesome thanks mate. I will do that one after the cider comes out of the FV. Do you use brewersfriend to calculate the brews?

Almost any time you see a recipe you like the sound of, you can convert between extract and full mash (both directions).

Awesome thanks mate. I will do that one after the cider comes out of the FV. Do you use brewersfriend to calculate the brews?

Sweet as mate!

No, I used ianh’s kit and extract spreadsheet from this forum, chose a hop combo I like and tried to get about 80/20 pale to wheat mix (wheat extract is usually about 50% wheat).

Sweet as mate!

No, I used ianh’s kit and extract spreadsheet from this forum, chose a hop combo I like and tried to get about 80/20 pale to wheat mix (wheat extract is usually about 50% wheat).
Ok thanks mate. I'll have to have a decent play with that spreadsheet. I've downloaded it but haven't got it scunned yet. Thanks again.

OK mate, here is a pale, hoppy session beer which should come in at around 4%. I haven't done an extract batch for 2 years, so I'm a bit rusty:

1.5kg light (or pale) dry malt extract
1kg wheat dry malt extract
OPTIONAL: 100g of caramalt (or some other super light crystal) steeped for 20 mins in ~65 - 70C water.

5L Boil for 30 mins total. Add 500g of your pale DME.

30 mins: 25g Motueka
10 mins: 25g Cascade (or Centennial)
5 mins: 25g Motueka
0 mins: 25g Cascade (or Centennial)

OPTIONAL: dry hop with as much hop as you please.

For yeast, I like nottingham or WLP051

You could swap your 1.5 kg of Light DME and your 30 mins hops for a tin of coopers mexican cerveza if you'd like. You'd do a 10 min hop boil and add the tin at the end.

Let me know how you go; also if there are any extract brewers out there that want to comment, please do so!!

I extract brew and agree with above, with the exception that I would make the steeped grains a must, not optional. Has made a big difference to my brews

Yeah I've found that adding steeped grains makes a difference too

You could always “steep” a kilo of pale ale malt for an hour and add that!! It was kind of a lightbulb moment for me when I realized that essentially mashing and steeping are the same thing. You don’t need any extra equipment that you wouldn’t already have in your kitchen right now!!

You could always “steep” a kilo of pale ale malt for an hour and add that!! It was kind of a lightbulb moment for me when I realized that essentially mashing and steeping are the same thing. You don’t need any extra equipment that you wouldn’t already have in your kitchen right now!!
Righto. So just in the pot before adding everything else?

Yeah basically soak all your grains with your water (at least 2.5L of water for 1kg of grain but more is fine) for an hour at around 65 - 68C. Wrap your pot in a blanket or towel if need be. After the hour, separate the grains and liquid (mesh bag or just a fine sieve). Then bring to a boil and proceed as normal.

Latest posts

Back