Seriously Pissed off...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyDoran

Reaction score
Ok... I would like to start by pointing out that I am not normally one to complain, but I felt that I had to warn others out there.

I have only been home brewing a short time ( i am on my 3rd batch now.

I have been going to a local home brew shop called Mayfairs here in townsville, and have always had a few problems with them... they hover over you constantly like they want you to just hurry up and leave the store.. when I asked one of them about brewing mead in a glass demi they looked at me like I was crazy... and I finally lost it when they told me that they didnt stock malted grain any more because apparently customers complained it was "too hard" and only sell tins and the only hops they carry are the tea bag variety.

Im seriously over it... Anyone else had issues with them? Apparently there is abother store here in town so I think I am going to give them my money instead.

Sounds woeful... I'd move cities.

Move to Victoria and chat with Dave at greensborough home brewing.

Happy for you to browse, fire questions and have a beer with.

There are lhbs that are in it for money, and those who are in it for the love.

Homebrewers Warehouse
13 Hammett Street, Currajong,
Townsville, North Queensland, 4812

Do a bulk buy from one of the many fine site sponsors... courier for bags of malt is going to be a *******, but if you buy enough at a time it should be worth the outlay. Put a shout out to brewers between cairns and mackay for a big arse bulk buy... split a sack of crystal 5 ways and its only 5kg. :D

I had a LHS deliver malt via courier into metro Perth. Courier sneered and whinged when my then pregnant wife asked if he could take the 25kg sacks from the front door to the garage (a whole 5m) as I was away on site for a week, I never bought from him again despite very good reviews from others. Your subbies reflect your business, even if you don't mean them too.

So now I drive 130 kms each way to get malt. Good service is worth a bit extra time and effort.

Give the other guy a go.

yeah well the LHBS has no control once the goods have left there store unless it was a store employee that delivered it so thats a bit harsh on the LHBS. If they used a courier your lucky he even did it even if he did complain about it, I put on there for them to leave under the house and out of site and the LHBS does have that on the package as I can read it but its always dumped on my front door 11kg of grain and all the rest, In plain sight and it gets the full sun in winter months.

Its not the LHBS fault once its picked up they have no control what happens. But its your choice just thought I say it if others think that they have control of the couriers they use.

This is true and normally I would I would agree. But that retailer was also an active member on here and some of his commentary did not sit well with me, particularly his shots at other retailers. It felt like his general business model.
In a digital world you are being watched by all and at all times.

Anyway, this is off topic. My point was more to not accept poor service - give the other guy a go or try the online retailers.

yeah good point. If your not happy then look some where else. I found you will tell soon as you walk in who is passionate about it. Start asking questions if answers are just whats inside the kit instructions then walk out. Plus you can see by there stock as you have said.

I find it a shame but there is one down the coast from here its a barber/brew I have never been in there as I couldn't see it being very good. Bit far for me to go even if it was but I highly doubt it :lol:

Ah yes the old hover technique. Very uncomfortable and unwelcoming. Not sure why people do it in retail. I suspect trying to be helpful but ends up being very intimidating if you just want to browse.

Last happened to me in NZ, Auckland, went into a place called Hauraki. I walked into an empty shop and when I was heard a bloke came down and stood by the counter staring. Not doing anything. Face propped up by his elbow standing by the cash register. Body language: hurry tfu, make your purchase then gtf out.... I got out ....

+2 for Craftbrewer. They are super quick reply dispatch and back it up with great advice. I have called them several times for brewing advice and they are very helpful.

tavas said:
I had a LHS deliver malt via courier into metro Perth. Courier sneered and whinged when my then pregnant wife asked if he could take the 25kg sacks from the front door to the garage (a whole 5m) as I was away on site for a week, I never bought from him again despite very good reviews from others. Your subbies reflect your business, even if you don't mean them too.

So now I drive 130 kms each way to get malt. Good service is worth a bit extra time and effort.

Give the other guy a go.
i find that a bit harsh.

it's not the shop owner's fault that one lousy courier did what he did. i would have told the brew shop about how poorly the courier handled the situation. doing that, you could have given the shop owner notification of what was happening, and given him/her a chance to improve the process or distribution channels for all to benefit from (yourself included). instead you've tarred him/her with the same brush as the shitty courier. who knows, the brew shop owner might have even given you something for your troubles as it would have been in their best interests.

either or, the 130 kms you now drive looks like you've lost on both counts so, whatever.

For Townsville I'd recommend National Home Brew supplies at Hervey Bay or CraftBrewer Brisbane. I'm in NSW about the same distance from CraftBrewer as Rockhampton is in the other direction and postage and delivery times are identical to what I got on Bribie Island (in fact usually faster). I use them for all my spec grains as the 5kg satchel fits as much as I need for a few months brewing.

Then in your case it's an issue of getting the sacks of base malt, but that's another story.

Haven't used National Home Brew but give them a bell as well and enquire about freight.

+1 for Hombrewers Warehouse. They will have all the stuff you need, and if they don't will order it in for you.
You should find them the polar opposite to Mayfairs.

Cheers,
RB.

Latest posts

Back