Sensor Probe Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silo Ted

Suspended in an Aspic Consomm
Reaction score
Thinking about options to mount a sensor probe in my mash-tun, which will either be an analogue dial or hooked up to a temp controller (or both! I have a bit of pocket money to spend on the brewery right now).

Wanting a right angle probe, at approx 170mm + 170mm, so mash temp can be measured right in the middle of the mass. Would also like a silicone sheath across the horizontal length to buffer the heat source and have the readings taken from the vertical length.

So what's in a probe ? Is it simply a spike of stainless steel, and are they designed to be calibrated with the output based on length?

Speaking of an NTC sensor if going for the temp controller option.

The electrical temperature probes I use on my RIMS (RTD PT100's) are basicly 3 wires glued inside a SS sheath.

K Types are 2 wires I think and of similar construction.

My limited understanding is that the 3 wire probes work based on resistance between the wires (length not an issue), and that the 2 wire versions are calibrated based on the wire length also - I dont believe the probe length has anything to do with temp readings given as its just a sheath protecting the wire ends from the mash.

2c.

Latest posts

Back