Semi Conical Kettle Idea

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sijani

Reaction score
I was thinking of welding a s/s wok to the the bottom of a s/s tube to make a kettle (70L). One outlet at the bottom and one slightly higher. Similar design and principal as a conical fermenter. Can I put a small false bottom in and use the hops as a filter? It will be electric with two elements.
Has anyone tried this style before? Will it work?

concave_kettle_V1.00.JPG

I dont see why it wouldn't work as long as your welding is up to scratch.

Make sure the elements are located so they are fully immersed during long boils and small batches.

I would go for just one tap, near the edge of the wok or at the bottom of the side. Whirlpool = no hops in fermentor. Or go a falsie and pickup tube.

2c.

You wouldnt be a kiwi by any chance would ya??

I dont see any probs with your design if youre able to weld it up B)

looks like a keg with it's top cut off and leggs attached...
Plenty of people on here with that sort of experience :lol:

What he said re keeping immersed.
I would keep the outlet at the bottom. If you want to whirlpool, you can connect a pick up tube to it. If you also make the end of the tube flexbible - say with some silicon hose - you can choose the height of where you draw to and therefore maximise your yeild - given that different recipes leave different amounts of trub/hop residue.
Looks like a really good idea.

BTW - have you researched you elements? Which are you getting and what is their heat density?

Cheers

Back