Secondary To Early

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have any links or other info on this? I recently got back to brewing and in the past would have moved to secondary for a few weeks without really considering the benefits/drawbacks. I'm interested to read a discussion of it if you have some more info.
Yes, the recently published "Yeast, The practical guide to beer fermentation" Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff suggested a secondary might be useful if you plan to keep the beer in the fermentor for a long period such as when adding secondary ingredients like fruit or spices. On the other hand they refuted each of the usual reasons that home brewers use a secondary for brewing a 'normal' beer and provided a number of good reasons for keeping the beer on the yeast longer. (I'm paraphrasing here because I can't find the page reference for you).

There are also many threads on these forums, showing the drift away from using secondarys over the last few years, with - I think - most brewers skipping them now.

Yes, the recently published "Yeast, The practical guide to beer fermentation"

Do you recommend it? There are a couple of negative reviews on Amazon, lots of positive too. Worth $20??

Well worth it unless you are a complete beginner as there are some assumptions made about levels of brewing knowledge (discussed in the intro - target audience is presumed to have a certain base level).

Interested to read the negative reviews - I'd say it's a must have for serious brewers.

Just got these 3 from amazon for $56 all up delivered, didn't seem too bad. I did get suckered in by the 'if you like this look at this and this' feature of Amazon.

"Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles"
Ray Daniels; Paperback; $13.56

Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
1 "How to Brew: Everything You Need To Know To Brew Beer Right The First Time"
John J. Palmer; Paperback; $10.84

Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
1 "Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation (Brewing Elements Series)"
Jamil Zainasheff; Paperback; $11.08

Do you recommend it? There are a couple of negative reviews on Amazon, lots of positive too. Worth $20??
I can't imagine any reason for a negative review, the book was fairly well written and presented, and will make a useful resource.
Having said that, there is not too much that is new or ground breaking, it's more of a consolidated reference for stuff that has been all over the place before.
It's a little like 'How to Brew' in that respect, if you want to spend a considerable amount of time trollng forums and online resources, listening to pod casts and reading brewing mag's, you'll pickup much of the information, the great value of the book is that its all in one place, easy to understand and a good reference.
Just got these 3 from amazon for $56 all up delivered, didn't seem too bad. I did get suckered in by the 'if you like this look at this and this' feature of Amazon.
All three of those books are ones I'd highly recommend to any home brewer.

All three of those books are ones I'd highly recommend to any home brewer.
I've read through many sections of palmers online version, i thought it was finally time to send some royalties his way. I'll be happy if the other two books are half as good.

People have reviewed it negatively either because they're stupid or just to troll. It's a fantastic book sure to improve the quality of your beer.

Well done boys you actually managed to scare off Duffman . Hey Duffman its O.K. most newbies get grief from the forum , for they EXPECT you to know more but they forget once upon a time they were newbies as well .
Don't take them to heart for they mean well . Its just a strange way to try and help.

Cheers
Leachim

Well done boys you actually managed to scare off Duffman . Hey Duffman its O.K. most newbies get grief from the forum , for they EXPECT you to know more but they forget once upon a time they were newbies as well .
Don't take them to heart for they mean well . Its just a strange way to try and help.

Cheers
Leachim

I think the only unreasonable responce in this thread was Duffmans to JD's. He brought the grief upon himself and if his going to have a go at people trying to help then his not welcome here.

Duffman's at the offices of the Ministry of Humour, renewing his expired subscription, one would hope.

Duffman's at the offices of the Ministry of Humour, renewing his expired subscription, one would hope.
I dunno, depends how good the dinner for your BF was, maybe it's best he continues to sulk.

Latest posts

Back