Secondary Fermentation Temperature

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6tri6ple6

Reaction score
hey all,

I currently have a batch fermenting in my fridge. It has finished primary ferment. Would it be possible to take it out of the fridge and let it continue secondary at ambient temperature? I havent transferred it to a secondary vessel either. Would the ambient temp have any negative effects considering the night temp may/may not drop below 10C? I was thinking of getting another batch going while the first one was in secondary and i dont have enough room in my fridge for 2 fermenters.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Richard

What yeast are you using, i gather its a lager? how long has it been in your fridge and at what temp?

What yeast are you using, i gather its a lager? how long has it been in your fridge and at what temp?

its an amber ale and i am using us-05 and its been in the fridge for about 7 days
at 19C

US05 getting down to 10C and below is bound to stall and it may not clean up some of the flavours and compounds it created in it's fermentation phase. Most of the flavour contribution from the yeast has already taken place. Not having a tight control over ferment temps in the latter phases is not as critical. However, if you can insulate the fermenter somehow to maintain temps around 18C it should be fine. Maybe in a warmer part of the house or wrap it in blankets... just make sure it doesn't get too hot.

Is it hot atm in littlehampton? I ferment US05 at 18'C but i use a heat belt and controller to maintain my temperature this time of year in melbourne. Without a heat source i would have 14'C which is a bit low for ale yeast.

Is it hot atm in littlehampton? I ferment US05 at 18'C but i use a heat belt and controller to maintain my temperature this time of year in melbourne. Without a heat source i would have 14'C which is a bit low for ale yeast.

its f__king cold at the moment. Also my ferment fridge is outside. if i bring it inside i might be able to manage >15C if i wrap it up

Back