Secondary Fermentation Temp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stew.w

Reaction score
This is my first go at brewing. i have tried to search for this but cant find anything. i got a coopers brew kit and it came with a lager can. i just bottled it and i am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to keep bottles warm. it says to keep them between 21c and 27c. the bottles are in my house but i live in canberra and it gets pretty cold overnight. i have them in a crate with blankets on them and a heat pad under the crate.

any better ideas?

thanks,
Stewart

This is my first go at brewing. i have tried to search for this but cant find anything. i got a coopers brew kit and it came with a lager can. i just bottled it and i am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to keep bottles warm. it says to keep them between 21c and 27c. the bottles are in my house but i live in canberra and it gets pretty cold overnight. i have them in a crate with blankets on them and a heat pad under the crate.

any better ideas?

thanks,
Stewart

This sounds fine, but you'll still need to leave them for a couple of weeks. I used to do a similar thing, cardboard box of bottles on the heatpad in a cupboard.

any better ideas?

thanks,
Stewart
Hi Stew, I think the temps your trying for are a little high for best quality beer. I try for about 18c or even lower depending on style. Also important to try to keep temp as constant as pos. They may be slower to carb up at lower temps but also stops you drinking them to green. Just my thoughts other posts may give you links to info. Good luck with your new hobby. :icon_cheers:
Daz

I just did the exact same brew, although I added 500g of DME and only filled to 20litres. I must say its only been in the bottle for about 2 weeks and the temps in my house (vic) are usually 6-19c. I popped a bottle or two (for QA of course :lol: ) last night and must say the carbonation is far from complete but it is actually suprisingly drinkable...
I needed a cheap supply of beer for the weekend and I think they should do the job nicely. I''m still getting around to buying a mini oil heater, maybe you should check out [topic="23943"]this[/topic] thread for ideas ;)

Back