Secondary Fermentation/ Cc'ing Etc Etc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dubbo

Reaction score
Hi all,

have been a silent member for a while now, reading and learning but couldn't find much on the following. Everything I have read discussed secondarying/ CC'ing etc then bottling but I ditched that a fair while ago and only keg now.

Previously I have just brewed at ambient, being cool as possible usually around the 24DegC then after a week racked into a cube until required in keg (usually about a month). Have just set up brew fridge with frdgemate and currently having a strong dark ale in primary at 18DegC and a belgian lager, lagering at approx 4 DegC.

The question is, it is OK, after lagering at 4DegC for a couple months to then remove from fridge and leave at ambient, or is it a better beer if I whack it straight into the keg and get into it (after carbonating of course)?

The same goes for the ale, do I cc it or not? and if so can it then be left at ambient until req in the keg?

I cube everything after primary fermentation.

or am I kidding myself?

Cheers
Dubbo

If you're lagering then warming to ambient you're going to undo at least some of the sedimentation effects of lagering. So it would be better off transferring to the keg cold, which also makes carbonating quicker, and saves time cooling the beer down again.

If you're leaving an ale for a month before kegging, I would be at least moving it off the primary yeast cake and most likely CC it.

So what do I then do with a bock or something that requires longer ageing? :(

Cheers

Dubbo is in central NSW not SE qld..........

I dont know from experience but have been told that it is more then ok to store beer at room temp after cc. The cc is to filter out the cold break from the beer b4 racking to a keg (or cube).

i am pretty sure that the problems that you talk of, cooling beer and heating. Only really effect the beer if it is commercial. The Preservatives play a big part in this.

Chuck your bock in a keg and sit it in a cupboard (some where cooler) till you need it

cheers

Latest posts

Back