Second Brew = Straight To Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sorry that this is going to be off topic....... but

I thought that I was starting to get a bit of a grip on this home brewing stuff, and then I read this thread.... I know f all of nothing :wacko:

I thought that I was starting to get a bit of a grip on this home brewing stuff, and then I read this thread.... I know f all of nothing :wacko:

Just read man. Suck it all up like a sponge. I've only been studying this stuff for about 3 weeks!

Just read, brew, drink & enjoy. A couple of months ago I had to borrow a can opener from a mate because mine wouldn't open a coopers can, today I steeped some grain. If you read things & have no idea what blokes are talking about then you won't be the first. As long as you brew beer that you enjoy then yr kicking goals.

What you'll find (from my experience)is that, the more you get know things, the more you realise you don't know.

The other thing you'll find is, the more you get into it, the more you understand different parts of it. As everyone says, keep at it, read & make some friends to help you out, get in touch with brewer near you & try to spend some time with them to understand the processes.

It's a blast, very confusing & lots of fun. :chug:

BTW, I am still a major noob at it all......

Cheers
Goldy

Thanks for the support people. :icon_cheers:

What you'll find (from my experience)is that, the more you get know things, the more you realise you don't know.

I've been brewing for several years, AG brewing for around 8 months I think (a lot of brews put down in that time) and I read anything and everything I can. The above sentence pretty much sums it up for me.

If you think you know everything you're either really old or really stupid.

Without Hijacking too much You should listen to some of the podcasts going around, Basic brewing radio is what I listen to, It will give you some lingo and teach you a bit and Also read John Palmers book. It is a great resource.

Also In line with the extract brewing. Should I be expecting to get a hot and cold break when I boil DME? I recently did the extract version of Tony's LCBA clone and didn't get a break for hot or cold. I chilled in the bathtub and also added some very cold water to reach the pitching temp probably took an hour to chill and I will also mention that my boil was not very vigourous 16 litre boil on a gas stove top is quite difficult to achieve. it was certainly boiling but porbably only lightly, what effect does a gentle boil have on things in extract world?

Just put down my third brew. Another Centenarillo variant to use up hops. Australian Pale Ale tin rather than Extract and reused US05. Brewed to a full 23L.

Dad's put in an order with G&G for a 12L batch of Stout. He doesn't like to see a fermenter empty!

Coopers Light LME 1.5kg
Bairds Chocolate Malt 100g
Bairds Roasted Barley 100g
Bairds Black Malt 50g
Nottingham yeast
Fuggles hops
Licorice extract for a meringue head.

Should all arrive on Tuesday....can't wait to get a nice black stout happening!

IMG_1523.jpg

Right. So there's the Centenarillo after 11 days in the bottle. Just had to try it.

Definitely an Amber Ale rather than a PA.

Slightly undercarbed. I'm thinking this may be due to the cold weather of the last week leading to an incomplete secondary fermentation.

Tasting notes: Hugely malty, so much so that the hop profile is quite difficult to distinguish. I'm wondering if this may also be due to the low carbonation.

It's by no means a bad drop, the most noticeable thing is the lovely job of the US05 yeast in making it taste like a proper beer compared to kit yeast.

The Amarillo aroma was outstanding out of the fermenter, what could've diminished this through bottling?

If I did this brew again at 12L I'd definitely go with Coopers LLME, drop the 300g DME and bump up the hop additions.

Back