Second Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stixjew

Reaction score
HI all just cracked my second biab Ag and it is an absolute perler i rekon with my limited knowledge and skills. It is easy to drink not too malty, a nice thick white head and crystal clear, All in all an excellent aussie ale- the best home brew ive tasted (limited to my yukky k & K's). I used 4600gms ale malt and 250grams Caramunich 1 at 66 smak on for the mash.For bittering around 30 ibu of 20 gms POR at 60 mins and 15 gms cluster @ 10 mins. Very easy beer and many thanks for the help on here. I did notice a big difference with my first brew which the mash temperature deviated from 68 or so down to 63, it did seem a bit thinnner and a tad more watery where as this brew has got the lot. Stoked as!

I hope my Smurto's i stuffed up (used 850 grams caramunich 1 instead of Munich ) is half as good as this, its quite a bit darker 22 ebc in fact!, will do the right recipe again next weekend, then a weizen, cant wait. Im so glad i found this site with all the info, Thanks again.

hannibal.jpg

"I love it when a plan comes together!"

Well done Stix! I have been setting up for biab for the last few weeks, finally have all my gear ready to roll, what equipment/setup you use? Do you chill?

I can never get enough of the "I've done my first/(second) batch at it's AWESOME!" threads.

Makes me all tingly inside :beerbang:

Hi Adelaide Hills Brewer, i no chill, do a full volume mash/boil and have used polycar only - thus far pretty basic stuff and recipes but having fun and happy with the results.My Smurto's stuff up could change all that tho! goodluck.

great stuff.

18 months ago I didn't even brew.

I wanted to try again after earleir failed attempts.
Found this joint...tried a mates keg setup ..got myself on and just went for it with FWK's .

Then read Nicks untold BIAB thread and swithced teams.

since then I have made 20 all grain brews. Impressed the bejesus out of my mates ( not hard to do that though ) joined the SLAB and just got a mill.

It is like little house on the praire in my garage now ..with all the grains and mill etc.

:)

I hope my Smurto's i stuffed up (used 850 grams caramunich 1 instead of Munich ) is half as good as this,

Meh, don't worry about it. You will make beer. Might not be the beer you wanted, might not taste the way you wanted. But it won't kill you, won't flatten your car tyres and won't let your chooks out of the shed.

It'll be beer, and may or may not be what you like. After 20 AG brews, I still can't get two brews exactly the same despite always using same ingredients, times etc. All part of the learning process.

The fact you need to remember is YOU made it with YOUR hands in YOUR shed!

From scratch.

With pots and stuff.

HI all just cracked my second biab Ag and it is an absolute perler i rekon with my limited knowledge and skills. It is easy to drink not too malty, a nice thick white head and crystal clear, All in all an excellent aussie ale- the best home brew ive tasted (limited to my yukky k & K's). I used 4600gms ale malt and 250grams Caramunich 1 at 66 smak on for the mash.For bittering around 30 ibu of 20 gms POR at 60 mins and 15 gms cluster @ 10 mins. Very easy beer and many thanks for the help on here. I did notice a big difference with my first brew which the mash temperature deviated from 68 or so down to 63, it did seem a bit thinnner and a tad more watery where as this brew has got the lot. Stoked as!

I hope my Smurto's i stuffed up (used 850 grams caramunich 1 instead of Munich ) is half as good as this, its quite a bit darker 22 ebc in fact!, will do the right recipe again next weekend, then a weizen, cant wait. Im so glad i found this site with all the info, Thanks again.

Congrats on the brews,

That Aussie Ale is such a great beer and with the hot weather coming is perfect for this time of the year.

I would not be too worried about the 850g caramunich 1, if it was 850g crystal swapped in then I would be more concerned. Bit late now, but you could have upped the hops a bit to help balance it back out.

QldKev

Good on ya mate. My second AG is fermenting now and I hope it turns out as good as my first.

This hobby is very addictive and I think BIAB makes it even more so (Well any form of AG really) it gives you more involvement than just chucking some extract from a can into your fermenter and adding water.

Not saying that extract brewing sucks, some poeple like the simplicity of it..and thats okay.

But me I like the whole cooking process of BIAB. The wife and I had a couple of beers whilst mashing and boling and really enjoyed ourselves. We cant wait to try the finished product.

Cheers

Guess who's got a brew fat?
Onya stix, many more to come.
Daz

What a great hobby, lol. So much to learn and so many flavours to try how awesome! Just tried a hydro sample of my stuffed up Smurto's - boy its malty and a tad darkish but drinkable still at least - phew, a steep learning curve there!. Will have to brew another Aussie Ale but after another Smurto's ,weizen, Hoppy APA , Landlord etc etc lol. Too many choices !

DAZ - you've gone BIAB??? :eek:

My little grasshopper :beer:

Now, I'll make an admission. I'm going to get a bag again, I've done a one man systems war and I really like Bucket in Urn but

but

but

After 3 years of AG it just doesn't feel right not hoisting and squeezing that lovely plump bag. Please refer me to a counsellor. :blink:
I'll still do BIU for bigger beers because the recirc and sparging with BIU are an excellent feature, but for my regular beers it's back to BIAB for that excellent simplicity and speed.
and a good time had during my experiments.

Sure I sold my previous bags but they went to good homes and spread the lurve. :beerbang:

Honourable hunter should have many different arrows in quiver

Now, I'll make an admission. I'm going to get a bag again, I've done a one man systems war and I really like Bucket in Urn but

but

but

After 3 years of AG it just doesn't feel right not hoisting and squeezing that lovely plump bag. Please refer me to a counsellor. :blink:
I'll still do BIU for bigger beers because the recirc and sparging with BIU are an excellent feature, but for my regular beers it's back to BIAB for that excellent simplicity and speed.
and a good time had during my experiments.

Sure I sold my previous bags but they went to good homes and spread the lurve. :beerbang:

HAHAHAHAHHAH

Oh man.

So how many bags have you bought now ;)

edit: i refer you to : http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=830400

Well, at the rate I have bought bags I should just about catch up with a Braumeister in around 68 years from now

Back