Scorched 15a plug

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In rush current should not be a problem. It would generally only last a very short time and would not be that great compared to say a large industrail setup that have huge inrush currents that can last a few seconds

elcarter said:
Stupid question but you replaced the plug but is the cord 15amp? Also your plugging it into a rated 15amp outlet?

Your looking at a minimum 2.5mm strands of copper wire for 15 amp.

Edit;

BM 50 specific details;

› Heating coil: 3,200W output › Pump: 2x9W › Power supply connection: 230V (fuse protection min. 16A) › Control system: fully automatic brewing control (temperature, time, pump) › Max. malt quantity: 13kg

Your just over 14 amps with just the element and pumps. (calc at 230V as most mains is below 240V solar ect)

Units protection is designed for 16amps - fuse.

I'm assuming the controller pulls bugger all.

Running this on a 15 amp circuit should be fine as your still under "mathematicaly" what it should be pulling.

If you house power is well below 230 then the amps begin to rise some more.
Reducing the voltage means you need a larger current to achieve the same power. Reducing voltage and changing nothing else in a resistive circuit (I.e heater element) will reduce the current and the power, not increase current.

Dammit, wrong way round. Lucky I'm not an electrician.

My length is also just right. Just reaches the brew setup from the shed B)

Pokey said:
Reducing the voltage means you need a larger current to achieve the same power. Reducing voltage and changing nothing else in a resistive circuit (I.e heater element) will reduce the current and the power, not increase current.
P=V x I

Reduce the the V then you reduce the P.

If you Increase the R then you will decrease the I and P

I is totally dependant on V & R

Plugs are generally rated for current. When it comes to current, the bigger the current, the bigger connector you will need

Note..Things get a bit weird when the I & V are out of phase

Latest posts

Back