Schtzenfest In Adelaide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Commonly known in Adelaide as the "Shitzenfaced". Your choice for beverages there is Australian Cider, Coopers or DAB. No good Pils, Fest, Weizens, nothing. :(

i think they had 3 or 4 different ones last year but i was already "Shitzenfaced" when i got there

I'm not a fan of paying entry to drink overpriced Coopers in a park. thus I have never gone.

I'm not a fan of paying entry to drink overpriced Coopers in a park. thus I have never gone.
In my younger days, I was guilty of this. DAB was the only other option, at double the price. Note: 42*C days are NOT a great time to wait an hour in the sun to get Coopers.

That said, I went the last time they had glass steins, and I've still got mine. If it's plastic - it's not a stein. To slightly paraphrase one of the greats...

"No stein? Why don't they just call it p**f fest? How can you have a Schtzenfest without a stein? The whole charm of going to Schtzenfest is drinking out of something you can later take a dip in!"
Sure, it's a 'shooting festival' but who actually does any shooting? And anyway, who's bright idea was to popularise a shooting festival with alcohol???

... I may still go, just to see if it's any better than I remember.

Once upon a time it was good. Now days it is just a bunch of drunken yobs in a park.

I first went to it in 1994. It was cheap to get drunk at then.

It was $5 for the Glass stein and then $2.50 to get it filled. All they had was Coopers Draught or DAB, or cider.

The last time I went was in 2000, and by then it was getting really expensive.

The only reason I know which year I went is because the steins have the year on them.

Its now a plastic stein because someone knocked someone on the head with one outside of the event.

its just a fund raiser for the adelaide german club better off going to the club bar on friday.for your dab fix or other beer

Yeah i will proberlly be going with a whole heap of heads. Its a good day drinking steins of sparkling and it isnt that much. Last time i went a stein im sure by memory was $8

Needs to be a glass stein indeed!

I agree that it has lost its shine over the years...

Was a great time back 10 odd yrs ago

The 'stein' is actually only a pint glass. I am drinking water out of one right now and it has the 570mL line marked just shy of the top. This one is plastic and marked 2004.

Shooting from memory is air rifles so the alcohol and shooting rule doesnt really apply.

As much as its normally only DAB and a few other commercial german beers the food is bloody nice and i quite like a day where the aim is to do nothing more than drink german beer, eat german food and pass out in the sun. I could live without the oompah music tho.... :p

And my dodgy memory tells me that in 2004 there were 4 different german beers. I think 2 were on tap and 2 were in cans. That and plenty of CPA and CSA and its not all bad.

It's a sad reflection of its former self, since it moved into the city...

The map on the website seems to suggest that it'll be Coopers and DAB again.

The 'stein' is actually only a pint glass. I am drinking water out of one right now and it has the 570mL line marked just shy of the top. This one is plastic and marked 2004.
2002 was when I last went - the last year to have glass steins... this one is decent; very almost fits a longneck.

GlassStein.jpg

500mlMarking.jpg

Latest posts

Back