Schoffahofer Love

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick_p83

Reaction score
Hi I know I'm cutting it fine for Oktoberfest.
But I need a third keg of beer for the party.

So I thought I would try a Schoffahofer clone
Hard to match I know but I must try
I'm doing it as a partial but u can do it AG if u won't

Morgans wheat extract as bulk
wheat malt 70%
pills malt 30%
Hallertauhops 35g.
20g at 30 min
15g at 55min
and let's not forget only the best wyeast 3068

I will start on thurs when the fresh wyeast arives from the u.s.

I can almost taste victory ;o)

Mick

Hi I know I'm cutting it fine for Oktoberfest.
But I need a third keg of beer for the party.

So I thought I would try a Schoffahofer clone
Hard to match I know but I must try
I'm doing it as a partial but u can do it AG if u won't

Morgans wheat extract as bulk
wheat malt 70%
pills malt 30%
Hallertau hops 35g.
20g at 30 min
15g at 55min
and let's not forget only the best wyeast 3068

I will start on thurs when the fresh wyeast arives from the u.s.

I can almost taste victory ;o)

Mick

good luck, you have chosen a great wheat beer to replicate and i hope it works out for you. I have collected the yeast from about 10 bottles of Paulaner hefeweizen and i will be trying to ferment a wheat beer with it soon :beerbang: . Let me know how your Schofferhofer clone turns out, cheers!

[quote name='Rack'EmUp' post='520896' date='Sep 15 2009, 01:05 PM']Let me know how your Schofferhofer clone turns out, cheers![/quote]

I am a well known lover of WHEATS... and if you're interested AndrewQLD has a particularly nice Schofferhoffer recipe.
I generally make one a month (for the past year) and I've only made a few minor adjustments to taste.
Quick, easy, one step 60min hop addition.

After being turned on to wheats I now make American ones and German ones and Honey ones.... Budwiser think's I'm lost to the 'good beer' ranks.
But I counter with - Drink them from day one - none of this aging like lagers etc :p
I was thinking of taking my Honey Wheat to the next Bundaberg Brewday but it's come out a bit high at 6.1% .... I wonder would they notice? :chug:

The Brewer's Wife

I am a well known lover of WHEATS... and if you're interested AndrewQLD has a particularly nice Schofferhoffer recipe.
I generally make one a month (for the past year) and I've only made a few minor adjustments to taste.
Quick, easy, one step 60min hop addition.

After being turned on to wheats I now make American ones and German ones and Honey ones.... Budwiser think's I'm lost to the 'good beer' ranks.
But I counter with - Drink them from day one - none of this aging like lagers etc :p
I was thinking of taking my Honey Wheat to the next Bundaberg Brewday but it's come out a bit high at 6.1% .... I wonder would they notice? :chug:

The Brewer's Wife

Hi, I discovered Schofferhofer when i was living in germany, and all their beers are nice, particularly the wheat beer. The honey wheat sounds nice, i havn't heard of a honey wheat beer before, how is it? would it finish a little bit drier than a normal wheat? +1 on the quote about not needing any maturation for wheat beers, i just leave mine for about 2-3 weeks, just long enough to carb up before i start drinking them and actually find them to decline after a couple months in the bottle.
What hops do you use for your wheat beer? i have some Hallertau Hersbrucker hops, would these go well with a wheat? sorry about all the q's i have just one more..when you say 60min hop addition, does that mean you add the hops at t60 of the boil, or you boil the hops for 60mins?
Thankyou :icon_cheers:

[quote name='Rack'EmUp' post='521547' date='Sep 16 2009, 12:56 PM']The honey wheat sounds nice, i havn't heard of a honey wheat beer before, how is it? would it finish a little bit drier than a normal wheat?
What hops do you use for your wheat beer? i have some Hallertau Hersbrucker hops, would these go well with a wheat? sorry about all the q's i have just one more..when you say 60min hop addition, does that mean you add the hops at t60 of the boil, or you boil the hops for 60mins?
Thankyou :icon_cheers:[/quote]

Well I don't claim to be an expert but.... (she says... really thinking... yeah...someone else loves wheat beer)...
I read extensively and just made up a Honey Wheat recipe... and it's great beer!
As to taste... I know experts tell you you shouldn't "taste" the honey... but damn, I think I can... it's sweet on the lips and NICE.

With all my wheat beers I use Hallertau Hersbrucker sometimes 2.5% or 2.8% whatever is on sale at the time. They are a wonderful wheat beer hop.

I use around 50gram of 2.5% for a 22L post boil brew.
And YES I boil them for the entire 60 minute boil.
meaning my boil is only 60 minutes long and they go in there as soon as it comes to the boil
(not first wort hoppped)

When I said it was simple..... I must say I do stage the MASH process to 30 minutes of 50 degrees and 30 minutes at 67 degrees.
Then I raise temp to 78 and hold for 10 minutes to stop the enzyme action before I drain and sparge with whatever water is left over.

I do that because I was convinced by someone that the Mash Out temp shoulld attain 78 to stop the enzyme action.....
I'm a sucker for statistics :rolleyes:

Having said tha,t I keep rigorous records and can testify that each time I change the process.... to mash out temp or to 3 step sparging... I've attained better efficiency... so statistics don't lie *(unlike politicians statistics)*

The Brewers Wife

Sorry I have only been brewing for 3 months.
So I'm struggaling to make a 15 lt wort.
With the bodgy stock pot and 18lt esky.
I boil the wort for a total 60 min.
I only add 35 grams of hops to wheat beer
Adding hops 20g at 30 min 15g at 55min

Mick

Can we get andrewQLD to share his recipe? Tried a quick search and didn't come up with anything.

Ok so the wort is boiling now
i changed the recipe a little

I used used
2kg grain 70% wheat 30% pills
mash 60 min @66*
boil 60 min
add 10G hallertau hops at30 min
cool the crap way in a ice bath :unsure:
craft brew bavaria wheat as bulk to 23lt
Let's not forget the wyeast 3068 packed on 14.9.09 arrived express air today
and to top it off half kg of dry wheat malt to up the alc% ( its for oktoberfest )

Mick :party:

Can we get andrewQLD to share his recipe? Tried a quick search and didn't come up with anything.

I'll have to have a dig around for that one, I'll see what I can find.

Andrew

Found it.

Recipe: Schofferhoffer Weizen Clone
Brewer: Andrew Clark
Asst Brewer: Henno
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (45.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Boil Size: 37.20 L
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 6.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 18.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.10 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBGrain 59.62 %
2.10 kg Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EGrain 40.38 %
45.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] (60 min)Hops 18.1 IBU
1 Pkgs Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) [Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Double Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.20 kg
----------------------------
Double Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Protein Rest Add 9.78 L of water at 62.7 C 52.0 C
60 min Saccrification Add 11.02 L of water at 84.3 C 67.0 C
10 min mash out Heat to 78.0 C over 10 min 78.0 C

Thanks andrewQLD. Looks like a nice tasty recipe. I love a Schoff, so I might have to give it a go with summer coming on. I must say though, I might have to add some rice gulls.

Oh, yes, rice hulls do help. I use them just don't put them in the recipe file.

Andrew

Back