Saunders Malt Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSB

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Saunders Malt extract that you can buy in the spreads section at Woolies with Kit Brews?

If so at what rate and with which Kits? Do you use any other fermentables with it etc etc etc?

Is it any good?

Has anyone used the Saunders Malt extract that you can buy in the spreads section at Woolies with Kit Brews?

If so at what rate and with which Kits? Do you use any other fermentables with it etc etc etc?

Is it any good?

I haven't used it myself, but I have seen it mentioned a couple of times in other threads here... From what I remember it had some mixed reviews.. and maybe the quality or the process of making it are a bit different than the stuff made for brewing?

Anyways, do a search for "Saunders" and you should encounter another thread I remember.
And hopefully someone who has actually used it will reply here soon too :)

Coopers and Morgans extract has the "hot break" removed so you
can just chuck it in the fermenter without boiling. Don't know about other brewing extracts,
but the stuff you stick on toast would need to be boiled.

How does the price compare to tins from the HBS?

Safeway sells Saunders Malt extract for $7.60. My HBS sells 1kg malt LME for $9 so there is a saving to be had.

I am curious to hear what sort of brew this stuff can make.

Personally, I have never used it and won't bother taking the risk. I struggle enough making a beer with the best quality ingredients I can find.....

yes and no. quality v quantity. Randon ME vs ME for the brewing market.
Both work the same. Try it with tandaco yeast and the cheapest hops you can get.

personally i just dont see the point in trying to save $2 here or there for the cheapest possible homebrew you can make.

i'd rather shell out a few extra dollars and make the best quality beer i can.

besides, at the end of the day, its still a hell of a lot cheaper than buying commercial beer :p

personally i just dont see the point in trying to save $2 here or there for the cheapest possible homebrew you can make.

i'd rather shell out a few extra dollars and make the best quality beer i can.

besides, at the end of the day, its still a hell of a lot cheaper than buying commercial beer :p

I couldnt agree more.

The problem is taht I cannot buy liquid malt extract in the town I live in so I was just wondering

I couldnt agree more.

The problem is taht I cannot buy liquid malt extract in the town I live in so I was just wondering

Hi PSB,

Cowra, nice place. Was just there a couple of weeks ago playing golf with a good mate of mine who owns 300 acres there. Bathurst is not that far from you, do you get there often? Maybe they have a HB store. Also, maybe Pint of Lager could advise of reputable HB stores as she is in that area.

Cheers.

could always just give it a go and find out.

personally id be boiling everything to make sure you get rid of the hot break, just to be sure.

if none forms, then you will know you dont have to be as pedantic in future.

Hey PSB

If you can make it over to bathurst, the country brewer is in keppel street, I haven't been in for a while so can't remember, but they have light, amber, dark and wheat liquid malt listed on their website here. If there is anyone else out there in the central west, specifically orange, I'd love to meet some fellow pursuers of the perfect ale, so let me know if you'll ever be in orange

Dave

PSB...Go to Woolies or Coles...
Get a Generic Kit and add to brew...Nearly same price...
Saves worrying..?????????
Cheers
PJ

Hi PSB,

Cowra, nice place. Was just there a couple of weeks ago playing golf with a good mate of mine who owns 300 acres there. Bathurst is not that far from you, do you get there often? Maybe they have a HB store. Also, maybe Pint of Lager could advise of reputable HB stores as she is in that area.

Cheers.

Thanks Duff.

I dont go to Bathurst often but when I do I go and see Brian at Country Brewer and stock up. He is a good guy.

Hey PSB

If you can make it over to bathurst, the country brewer is in keppel street, I haven't been in for a while so can't remember, but they have light, amber, dark and wheat liquid malt listed on their website here. If there is anyone else out there in the central west, specifically orange, I'd love to meet some fellow pursuers of the perfect ale, so let me know if you'll ever be in orange

Dave

Will do Dave. It would be good to catch up with other brewers

Latest posts

Back