Sanitising Method

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_yobbo

Reaction score
G'day,

I'm wondering what method/proceedure others use for sanitising their equipment. I think I know the basics as far as contact with sanitisng solution = sanitised. However, I've had an infected brew recently which has made me question my technique or possibly make it stricter.

I've decided to buy some starsan since I've seen it recommended by others.

I guess the questions that come to mind include:
1) Is using a product such as starsan in a hand spray bottle and spraying all surfaces considered good practice or submerging items in a solution recommended.
2) Is a no-rinse produce (namely starsan) appropriate to use on everything from fermenters, bottles, kegs, keg lines, brewing equipment. Is it better to use a steriliser plus rinse for fermenters?
3) Is it important to ensure there is no sanitizing solution left in the bottles or fementer before using them. Do they need to be air dried for a bit or can you tip the solution out and immediately start filling with beer.
4) How do you ensure your hands are clean/sanitised? Every time you pickup the fementer or it's lid, your grabbing the outside / non sanitized surface therefore potentially making your hands non-sanitized. Should you spray your hands with starsan everytime your going to pickup the stiring spoon or other item that makes contact with the inside of the fermentor or wort.

Cheers

G'day,

I'm wondering what method/proceedure others use for sanitising their equipment. I think I know the basics as far as contact with sanitisng solution = sanitised. However, I've had an infected brew recently which has made me question my technique or possibly make it stricter.

I've decided to buy some starsan since I've seen it recommended by others.

I guess the questions that come to mind include:
1) Is using a product such as starsan in a hand spray bottle and spraying all surfaces considered good practice or submerging items in a solution recommended.

Personally I spray and then use a small amount of solution (no need to fill the entire thing) which gets shaken around the vessel (fermenter, bottle, whatever) so all surfaces are in contact with solution. You can re-use this solution as long as it remains clear in the bottle. Once it becomes cloudy, it's time for some more.

2) Is a no-rinse produce (namely starsan) appropriate to use on everything from fermenters, bottles, kegs, keg lines, brewing equipment. Is it better to use a steriliser plus rinse for fermenters?

It is appropriate as a sanitiser. Note that it is not a cleaner and sanitising is fairly useless if the thing it's in contact with is still dirty.

3) Is it important to ensure there is no sanitizing solution left in the bottles or fementer before using them. Do they need to be air dried for a bit or can you tip the solution out and immediately start filling with beer.

It is generally recommended that there is a minimum of 3 minutes contact time with the solution. However it is also recommended that the items then be air dried before use. If you follow this method then there will be no visible solution left. However visible signs of starsan like foam, if resulting from correct dosage, won't harm you or your brew. The presence may suggest you haven't properly followed instructions though.

4) How do you ensure your hands are clean/sanitised? Every time you pickup the fementer or it's lid, your grabbing the outside / non sanitized surface therefore potentially making your hands non-sanitized. Should you spray your hands with starsan everytime your going to pickup the stiring spoon or other item that makes contact with the inside of the fermentor or wort.

Make sure that anything that contacts or sits in close proximity to the actual wort is sanitised. You can spray your hands and other things around the place but you will never remove all micro-organisms from the environment. I have a sneaky suspicion that if you created an environment where that was possible, you would also be unable to live. All you can do is minimise the risk to your beer as well as make yourself feel confident that you've done that to the best of your ability. If spraying your next door neighbour's fruit tree makes you feel better then do it but I wouldn't worry too much. By the same token - if you are going to stir your brew with a spoon for bulk priming, then I would be cautious and at least spray and wait.

It should be mentioned that my advice is to be taken as my advice only - not dogma. I have had infections and I have stepped up my cleaning and sanitation regime to include much more than just star san. It now involves cleaning with sod percarb, dosing with chlorine, dosing with boiling water, dosing with sodium met, rinsing then dosing with starsan.
Others get away with using boiling water only. You'll have to see what works for you but never pretend you are in a sealed laboratory wearing a microbiological suit and mask (unless you are)

Thanks for the feedback and the link.
Sounds like the steriliser I've been using is the least effective to begin with.
And with that link, I've discovered the article section of this website, most interesting.

There is a great podcast on brewstrong covering sanitising, featuring the bloke from five star chemicals who actually makes starsan/pbw here, http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/469 . There's also a separate one on cleaning.

As for myself, I mix up a litre of starsan in my fermenter, a syringe is great here, and add in any little bits that need sanitising, then sanitize the workbench around where I'm working with a cloth. For something like my sediment reducer+tap I assemble them under the solution before fitting them. Then I can drain the starsan from my fermenter into a spray bottle for other applications. If there is some left in the fermenter when you add the wort, the pH will be increased beyond the working range of the starsan, and it wont harm your beer (don't fear the foam).

As for your hands, I find starsan makes my skin peel a little, nothing too serious. If I used it very often I would probably wear some disposable gloves; but as I don't use it often, I don't worry about it.

Back