Sanitiser flavour in my bloody beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowlyf

Reaction score
Dudes,

Anyone here use Brewers Choice sanitiser? First time I've used it and I kegged my beer yesterday and as always sanitised it and as not to fear the foam, i left the shit in there and kegged on top of it. I ran the sanitiser through the beer lines and after that I ran the beer through the line just like always.

Well I've tasted my beer today and all's I can ******* taste is their shit sanitiser.
What the **** man. This stuff sucks balls. I followed the directions on the bottle.

Will the flavour be there forever?

Last edited:
I have never used it, I use Starsan and have never noticed it.

How much foam was in the keg? I know with mine if I put half a litre of water in the keg and a few drops of Starsan and shake it the keg quickly fills with thick foam.

If this is the case it's a good idea to drain as much out as you can.

"Dont fear the foam" has its limits. Especially post fermentation. If there is a thin layer of bubbles on the surface of the keg it shouldn't matter.

Well when I racked it fellas, it pushed out a fair bit of foam! Shit

I have never used it, I use Starsan and have never noticed it.

How much foam was in the keg? I know with mine if I put half a litre of water in the keg and a few drops of Starsan and shake it the keg quickly fills with thick foam.

If this is the case it's a good idea to drain as much out as you can.

"Dont fear the foam" has its limits. Especially post fermentation. If there is a thin layer of bubbles on the surface of the keg it shouldn't matter.

How do you drain it may I ask?

I've never used that brand but can't imagine it being that different from starsan.I find sometimes i have to add more starsan and gently swish it around and pour it back out and it brings the bubbles with it. You could probably use boiling water as well.
Having said that i've left some pretty big amounts in before and never noticed a flavour from it.

I tip the keg up and let it drain out. If there are thick stubborn bubbles that wont budge I add a small amount of extra water and put the lid back on a shake it again.

Then take the lid of and tip it up again.

I repeat this until there is only a thin layer of bubbles on the inside of the keg.

Thing with these sanitisers is that they are really meant for surface use only, such as spraying them on. Its hard to do this with a vessel like a keg, so it makes sense to mix some up in the keg and give it a shake but you do run the risk of not being able to get excess sanitiser out.

Remember if you add 500ml of sanitiser solution and give it a shake and it all turns to foam, you still have 500ml of sanitiser in the keg...

Your right Lionman the sanitiser is meant to cover the surface. I use starsan and roll it around the inside of the keg, I get a bit of foam but nothing that would cause any concern. There is no need to shack the hell out of it.

So I added 9L of water to the keg and I added enough sanitiser for about 9.5L. This was 4 cap fulls.

Am I using too much?

I would say so, if it were Starsan then it's only 1.5ml per litre therefore 9 litres 13.5ml. So what's the rate of Brewers Choice?

I should add that the sanitser calls for half a cap per litre of water. So by my calcs, it shouldn't really taste like shit

There is a way easier way to clean and santise kegs.
Leave the kegs empty and under pressure when they're finished. When the time comes to cleaning and sanitising, de-pressurise, tip out dregs, rinse with a couple of litres of water, fill approx 1/4 way with water, add 1 tbs of sodium perc, pressurise and leave for an hour. Then roll it around, lay sideways gas side down, press the gas poppet until fluid come out, stand up and press liquid poppet until liquid comes out. Leave for half an hour or more.
Empty the kegs and rinse. Fill one keg 1/4 with water and add starsan. Pressurise, then roll around. Do the same thing with the gas poppet as above. Use a liquid disconnect and tube and empty the keg into the next keg and repeat . . . and so on. Keep the kegs pressurised and store.
When you use them there will be a few mls of starsan solution in the bottom which you just tip out. You can store kegs pretty much indefinitely like this in a santised state ready to use.

Reckon the sanitiser flavour will dissolve once fully carbed and conditioned? I bloody hope so

Am I reading correctly? You made 9L of sanitiser solution then kegged on top of it?

Tip it out next time. No idea about bc sanitiser but certainly starsan and many others require only surface contact as mentioned above: few hundred mL, not half keg

Am I reading correctly? You made 9L of sanitiser solution then kegged on top of it?

Tip it out next time. No idea about bc sanitiser but certainly starsan and many others require only surface contact as mentioned above: few hundred mL, not half keg

No I certainty tipped it out

Thank goodnes for that. Reads a bit funny.

Doesn't help the fact that my IPA tastes like brewers choice sanitsier. This isn't the first time either. I'm going back to starsan. This is ridiculous

Are the mixing proportions as per direction? Would be worth complaining if they are.

Back