Sanitisation When Milling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losp

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I was just wondering how sanitry i have to be when miling?
Will I have to clean and sanitise my mill, hopper and bucket?
Or does it not matter when the grain is uncracked?
cheers,
Losp

No need to worry much at all... just be clean
my main concern is to do the milling out of the brewery to stop the airborne flour causing problems

Hi Guys,
I was just wondering how sanitry i have to be when miling?
Will I have to clean and sanitise my mill, hopper and bucket?
Or does it not matter when the grain is uncracked?
cheers,
Losp

Dont worry about it - the boil will kill any bugs.
Just keep things tidy and you will be right.

doesn't matter when you're gonna boil the wort, just use clean bucket etc, no need to sanitize IMO

, you gotta be quick here :0)

All is pre boil. So you dont need to be overly fussed. I usually mill, then brush the mill of so it dosent build up with grain dust.

Once you done, just keep the uncracked, cracked grain and the mill away from you boiled wort/fermenters.

wow 4 replies already. thanks for this. I was worried about getting the mdf wood wet and soggy.
thanks guys.

No need to worry much at all... just be clean
my main concern is to do the milling out of the brewery to stop the airborne flour causing problems

As Kong suggests, biggest issue is from airborne bacteria getting into your fermenters, etc. Try and mill your grain in a different area to where you store your gear.

On a more serious note. :lol:
Conditioning the malt before milling cuts down on the visible grain dust that usually whafts up from the milling.

By conditioning do you mean the mild wetting of the grain that I've heard of or something else?

Hand-milled grain produces less flour than a fast turning motorised mill.

Apart from that, I crack my grain in the house, then brew outside, and ferment in a fridge.

Clean and sanitise fermentor and pitch in a clean, still area (kitchen).

That's all I got.

It doesn't hurt to clean your rollers after milling, too. I use a dry bottle washing brush with firm bristles & slowly hand crank while brushing back and forth. Keeps the mill from knurling at subsequent cracks and better to store clean imo.

reVox

I concur reVox. I milled conditioned grain last night and I've just doughed in. The rollers have more grain on them than usual. I use a nylon brush to clean the rollers. I must say, it's the easiest dough in I've ever done. Tipped the lot in in one go, gave a 20 second stir with the paddle to get the grain bed even thickness and away we go! I didn't even have to turn off the recirc through the HERMS.

get a really nice soft new paint brush and just brush it down after every use incl the rollers, hopper etc.

Latest posts

Back