San Diego Super Yeast Wlp090

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I've often wondered about the "lack" of the widget. They are going to move to sachets I understand, I wonder if they will incorporate a widget as it is a sure sign of whether the yeast is viable.

Bribie G said:
Yes, I've often wondered about the "lack" of the widget. They are going to move to sachets I understand, I wonder if they will incorporate a widget as it is a sure sign of whether the yeast is viable.
There's no widget, it's just a pack of nutrients, isn't it?

White Labs should be available in PurePitch form early next year - we're pretty excited about it.

Bribie G said:
I think it's derived from WLP001, guy said it was bred at Whitelabs and is not a brewery strain. I didn't get round to it yesterday, mashing it now. I was going to use Chinook but we all got some Stella and Topaz hops at the conference, both sound like they might add a nice touch to an American Wheat, tossing up which one to use.
I always get apricots from topaz even if just the 60 min addition . Just kegged an American wheat with all centennial to 22 and wlp011. It's definetly a ladies beer.

All is not lost. After boosting the brew with some Coopers in the good old gold pack it finished nicely. Bottled in 1.25L goonies and it should be good for Xmas after all. It was touch and go, and I was worried about bottle bombs so filled a bottle without priming, to act as a reference bottle, and it's still quite slack. The beer tastes great, one of the best American Wheats I've ever done.

Well, then I was left with a nice slurry that seemed too good to get rid of. So I've pitched that into a double batch of an AIPA that will chug away till the New Year when I get back. Already going ballistic ... this will be very interesting to see how my hybrid chimera monster turns out, might christen it "Bribie's Favourite", along the lines of "Denny's Favorite" etc. :D

Bribie G said:
I was worried about bottle bombs so filled a bottle without priming, to act as a reference bottle.
Good idea, that. I know that I don't always have the luxury of proper planning, so this might be more useful than it ought to be. :D

Just tasted my starter. Has a tart orange / grapefruit taste. Anyone had this before (maybe in any yeast starter)?
Its not something I have encountered before. Not sure I should pitch it?
Ideas?

I've had starters that have tasted bready, "tart" (but not sour, per se), and both at the same time... all have made (infection free) beer.

I've got a Super San spinning now, I'll try to remember to taste it and report back in a day or two when I pitch it.

I'm using San Diego Super Yeast again, in a Hop Thief clone. Fired up nicely this time, I've got it on 19 degrees so let's see how it shapes up this time round.

Bribie G said:
I'm using San Diego Super Yeast again, in a Hop Thief clone. Fired up nicely this time, I've got it on 19 degrees so let's see how it shapes up this time round.

Spiesy said:
Fermenting with a couple of vials tonight!
So how did the starters taste? Spiesy - maybe you arent making one?
Bribie G?

I didn't taste the starter but it smelt nice and clean as I tipped it in.

Done and kegged in six days, and almost bright.
Tastes clean and fragrant out of the Stainless Brewbucket, San Diego has stepped up to the plate this time, as the Yanks would say.

:beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

mofox1 said:
I've had starters that have tasted bready, "tart" (but not sour, per se), and both at the same time... all have made (infection free) beer.

I've got a Super San spinning now, I'll try to remember to taste it and report back in a day or two when I pitch it.
Well, it took a few days to kick off, and then there were car accidents, and so the starter just got left.

Anyway - chilled and decanted to bump it again, and starter tastes fairly good... definitely not sour. Seems like it would be a goer for an american wheat, lots of cantelope type flavours. Slightly cloying.

Promise to take better care of it this time around!

Back