San Diego Super Yeast Wlp090

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone still using this yeast? I've been using this yeast since the conference in beers that would normally get US05. I find it ferments quickly and drops failrly well. I like it better than US05 and 1272. I actually find it to be a pretty hardy yeast, i'v been repitching since the conference pretty much back to back (with two breaks in between) and i really haven't noticed it change that much. The last batch I did was a little 'tangy' but i'm not sure if it was the higher ferment temp. If i lost this yeast for some reason i would definitely buy it again.

Anyone else?

I'm about to bottle a batch an American Amber Ale which used this yeast.
I pitched a jar of slurry from a batch of AIPA brewed before this.
My yeast was grown from a bottle of slurry donated by BribieG.

I totally agree it ferments faster than I can blink. First time I used it it seemed to be all over Red Rover in 48 hours. It drops nicely.
Although it's early days, I think the yeast gives a little subtle fruitiness to the aroma, unlike US05 etc.

I would use it again.

Where can I find a vial of this yeast? Any of the sponsors?

moosebeer said:
Where can I find a vial of this yeast? Any of the sponsors?
I know brew adelaide (Nige62) has whitelabs vials

^^^ checked his site today, he had new stock less than a month ago, and now he's all out! how often does he reorder, generally?

^^^ checked his site today, he had new stock less than a month ago, and now he's all out! how often does he reorder, generally?
Hi,
The 090 was pretty popular this time around.
Will have fresh stock coming in second week of July.
Cheers
Nige

used a freshly filled stubbie of this from the first generation and its not kicking. I remember talk that it was a slow starter. Its been 24hours and it doesn't seem to be doing anything at all. Added another stubbie worth of yeast, if nothing has happened tomorrow morn its getting some us05. Weird that its doing this because i remember it kicking off slowly but not this slowly.

yeast was about a week old at most. Hadn't even carbonated the bottle.

edit- actually it was about 2.5 weeks old because i used a bottled to ferment another batch (which worked fine). So weird. Hopefully its fermenting tomorrow.

I haven't used this particular yeast, dying to do so, but all our customers have reported that it is a BEAST of a yeast. Some guys have reported fermentation over in 3-4 days.

The specs on it are phenomenal. Hardcore attenuation AND floc, high alcohol tolerance and reasonable temp range.

So with what I have heard, you should be roaring along.

Have you had much experience reusing slurry before?

Was the yeast rinsed? Did you make a starter? Did you oxygenate? All grain brew? Volume of wort and OG? Temp of yeast and wort?

I've reused slurry a million times, in 4 years i've probably only bought maybe 10 packets of yeast and made a brew every two weeks. Its weird that it didn't go as this slurry was super fresh as well.

The only thing different about this brew is that it had clarity ferm in it. NOt sure if that would make a difference.

I'm also very familiar with this yeast (used to be my house yeast) and i remember that sometimes it would take awhile to kick off from a bottle of slurry. Too long without any action, i pitched some us05 thismorning.

Wlp090 is a fantastic yeast though. Its very similar to US05, it settles out a lot better and is more neutral to my palate.

When I've used it (the stuff you gave me) it's always taken at least 24hours to fire up. Once it gets going it ferments out in a couple of days.

I couldn't wait anymore kev, the beer on tap at the moment is pretty subpar so i can't afford to tip a batch, need some beer in there asap.

The US05 hasn't done anything at all either?? I have a cube from the same batch sitting right next to it that got aussieale yeast (wlp009) and it is cranking. The only differences between these two batches is the one not fermenting got clarityferm... Is this a side effect? Really hope this batch isn't fucked, i wanted to bottle some up for a gluten intolerant mate.

ekul said:
The US05 hasn't done anything at all either?? I have a cube from the same batch sitting right next to it that got aussieale yeast (wlp009) and it is cranking. The only differences between these two batches is the one not fermenting got clarityferm... Is this a side effect? Really hope this batch isn't fucked, i wanted to bottle some up for a gluten intolerant mate.
Silly question, have you checked the gravity to see if it's dropping. I'm wondering if that shit has oil in it and it has prevented the krauzen layer forming?

I have not done this actually, i dont think i even have one anymore. Will check with my refractometer. Wont give me an accurate reading but if its not 1044 then something has happened in there.

Its 1042, which leads me to believe nothing has happened. It was really windy when i made it so didn't get a proper boil, probably where the 2 points went. I did take a reading before cubing it but i thought because the wort was hot it would rise up to meet the 1044 mark. Hopefully this uso5 kicks off, not sure how i feel about adding even more yeast if it doesn't.

Clarity Ferm should not prevent your beer from fermenting.

Re. No temp calibration when reading your OG.

Don't know of you no chill at all. But 1042 at 80 degrees is 1068. At 30 degrees it is 1045.

Could this be a factor?

What's the gravity of the 009 now?
Are they both in the same fermentation chamber, assuming they are in one?

Thanks for the suggestions Spiesy. I only use a drop on the refractometer so it cools fairly quickly, plus if i had 1068 i would have had some crazy efficiency on my rig :) Some kind of yeast has started to work this morning, doesn't look my normal krausen though, its really clean. Maybe the clarity ferm has already started to work.

Meanwhile the 009 one sitting next to it has nearly finished!! A couple more days and ill chuck her in the keg.

Just kegged my first batch brewed with this yeast on the weekend and it's tasting great. I brewed a fairly straight forward Amarillo/Centennial APA with an OG of 1.043, 12 L batch size, I made a 1 L starter with a one month old vial and pitched it after 24 hours on the stir plate.

The ferment took off within a couple of hours at 19c and just about blew the lid off, it was down to terminal gravity (1.010) in 4 and half days and had produced minimal vdk's, I ran a diacetyl test on the 7th day and it tasted super clean so I cold crashed for 3 days at 1c, flocculation was good, beer transferred nice and bright, I didn't use any finings so a couple of weeks cold conditioned should see it drop totally clear.

I harvested the yeast, washed and re-pitched into an IPA I brewed yesterday arvo, the fermenter was rocking about five hours after pitching.

So far the taste it has produced seems great, crystal clear hop flavours with the malt still coming through, I'm liking it's performance so far, looking forward to seeing how it goes with a higher OG.

Back