Salami 101

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
happy to do a salami swap again this year. I swapped with Merc last year and sent a few off for chilli sauce or just to share.

On a side note, I purchase a bench top electric mincer and sausage stuffer yesterday, a Tefal brand, 800w, ~$200. I looked at the Kenwood one 400W and the sunbeam one 600W. All seemed to have similar build quality and from my experience power goes a long way in these things.

Anyone else have experiences with those little bench top mincers?

happy to do a salami swap again this year. I swapped with Merc last year and sent a few off for chilli sauce or just to share.

On a side note, I purchase a bench top electric mincer and sausage stuffer yesterday, a Tefal brand, 800w, ~$200. I looked at the Kenwood one 400W and the sunbeam one 600W. All seemed to have similar build quality and from my experience power goes a long way in these things.

Tefal that cheap? The kenwood 400W proffessional model was like $249. 800W sounds way to go.

That time of year is nearly upon us. Break out the mincers, clean the stuffers, werd up your butcher!

We've got 2 pigs, a kangaroo and a sheep lined up for the day. 6 participants. Still breaking out the trusty Kenwood, but there may be 2 more mincers/stuffers this year, as everyone seems to have the bug to invest in sausage making equipment.

ive got the same one i think kirem. havent had a problem so far but have only made mince and Chorizo so far. but i tell you what they smoked wonderfully.

well the missus asked me if i knew what brand mincer i wanted last night. so it looks like ill be joining the sausage making fraternity in may when my bday rolls around.

toss up between the tefal 800W and the kenwood 400W Pro. the kenwood for some reason it about $60 more.

then i need to re-read this thread and buy all the stuff i need to pump out some salami and sausages.

Great thread everyone. Certainly keen to give it a go myself.

Thought I might pass on this blog I've been reading on the subject.

Cured Meats. The art and the craft.

Tons of great articles and recipes.

Apologies if someone already mentioned it earlier, I didn't notice it while reading through.

Are the guys making salami here useing a starter to ferment the outside of the sausage

Ive been reading the blog earlier and he says he is useing a meat starter, if anyone is useing it where do you get it from?

Im about to have a crack at some prosciutto first and the salami when the weather cools.

Kleiny

it all depends on what salami mate. like Q's french salami needed a starter i think. Troy and mine didnt because they are a thin salami.

just 'emailed myself' to our home email address a list of things with internet links. its all about dropping the hints to the missus who can pass it onto the family in regards to upcoming birthday pressies ;)

TEFAL ME710 LE HACHOIR 800W MEAT MINCER
The Sausage Making Cookbook
Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking and Curing
Professional Charcuterie: Sausage Making, Curing, Terrines and Pates

I dont think it will be in time for making this year though. will wait and hope.

well i got given the tefal mincer over the weekend, wohoo! no books thought as yet., so will have to get a few and bone up for next year. will cut my teeth on making snags in preperation of next salami season.

you dont need books mate just someone to show you. up for a session next time we make some?

yeah mate for sure. just PM me when you (and I assume Troy) are having a session.

Havent been on for a while and the first thing I see is this thread taking off again.

I was gearing up to make 100kg this year but I completed my salami fridge a couple of days ago. Its running at 10 degrees, 70%RH so all going well I will do a 5kg test batch of salami after another week or so of reliability testing. If it works out OK I will scale back the seasonal batch to 50-60kg.

bell me when your making mate, been far too long between sessions, i'd be up for a night in the peels shed.

i'd love to come along, see how the pro's do it and be the salami/sausage bitch for the evening

edit:
hmmm that sentence sounds very wrong now that i re-read it

Havent been on for a while and the first thing I see is this thread taking off again.

I was gearing up to make 100kg this year but I completed my salami fridge a couple of days ago. Its running at 10 degrees, 70%RH so all going well I will do a 5kg test batch of salami after another week or so of reliability testing. If it works out OK I will scale back the seasonal batch to 50-60kg.

Hey Peels I would love a bit more info on your salami fridge?? Perhaps a pic or two and a blurb about the bits and pieces.

Keep us posted on how it works.

I still have some salami from the batch I made last year and they are eating very nicely. I am looking forwrd to making more this year but think I will try for something a little different this year not quite sure what but will be happy to be in a swap again this year.

Cheers guys

I still have some salami from the batch I made last year and they are eating very nicely. I am looking forwrd to making more this year but think I will try for something a little different this year not quite sure what but will be happy to be in a swap again this year.

I still have some as well, care to swap another in the interest of seeing how they have developed?

I used the last of the capicola on the week, I love that stuff.

As for this years, having learnt the secrets of Calabrian Salami day, I am holding a hybrid Scottish-Calabrese version in my carport this year!

I still have some as well, care to swap another in the interest of seeing how they have developed?

I used the last of the capicola on the week, I love that stuff.

As for this years, having learnt the secrets of Calabrian Salami day, I am holding a hybrid Scottish-Calabrese version in my carport this year!

How can you blend a black-pudding with a Calabrian salami.

<Insert picture of some creepy mutant sausage here>

ha ha

<edit>
Oh, and then you can send me some when you are done!
<end edit>

Latest posts

Back