Salami 101

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can you blend a black-pudding with a Calabrian salami.

<Insert picture of some creepy mutant sausage here>

ha ha

<edit>
Oh, and then you can send me some when you are done!
<end edit>

Well sometimes it takes all my effort to stop myself from blending my Scottish sausage with some...well you get the idea!

I still have some as well, care to swap another in the interest of seeing how they have developed?

I used the last of the capicola on the week, I love that stuff.

As for this years, having learnt the secrets of Calabrian Salami day, I am holding a hybrid Scottish-Calabrese version in my carport this year!

Absolutely! Pm me your address and I will l send you one.

Well after being inspired by the home cured salamis Ive been researching the hows and whys of it all. Im currently awaiting the arrival of a Humidity controller and temp controller.

The humidity controller will operate a simple ultrasonic humidifier built from a cheap pond forger a bucket to hold water and a fan. This will sit in the bottom of the fridge along side of a 100 watt light bulb. The light will be operated with the temp controller as will the fridge; this will enable the perfect conditions at my finger tips to produce cured meats all year round.

I will be able to dial in 25 30 degrees to start the fermentation posses- re (lactic acid production) then dial in 12 degrees temp and 70% humidity.

I will post some pics during the build and Im also keen to hear from others who have similar set ups.

Cheers.gregs.

kirem and mercs, yours were great 12 months ago.....how do they change in over time? Richer? Smoother? Riper? What happens to them? Do they change colour etc? Do they get harder?
Cheers
Steve

first salami night on the cards tonight, only a small one as it might get a bit warm next week. massive one next weekend though. 20kgs of pork neck for zeee capricola!

Just bought a mincer and sausage filler, i have cure#2 and i was thinking about getting a culture.

Its nearly salami making time.

So im looking for recipes and tips

Kleiny

salami making season is well and truly in full swing around Mildura

been to two pig kills/salami days this season

I'll be doing some more in another two weeks

we don't use a culture and the cure is just salt, dehydration and time. Flavours are fennel, home made capsicum sauce and dried chilli flakes.

they come out great, but for a pig kill, by far the capocola is the prize.

we don't use a culture and the cure is just salt, dehydration and time. Flavours are fennel, home made capsicum sauce and dried chilli flakes.

they come out great, but for a pig kill, by far the capocola is the prize.

we dont use a cure either...think its 46grams salt per kg meat for memory (dont quote me our last salami night involved loads of drinking.)

its all about the cap! we dont get to kill pigs but the butcher at preston market looks after us on the pork necks.

we don't use a culture and the cure is just salt, dehydration and time.

we dont use a cure either...think its 46grams salt per kg meat for memory
so with your salami its just salt and making thinner salami to counteract the potential for botulism etc? how many have you had go bad? rough % is ok. just trying to get an idea. I dont really want to use the cures etc as one of the reasons Im doing this is to stay away from all the preservitives etc and get back to old school natural
cooking

Just found this link its got 100s of recipes for curing meats and sauages

Sausage and Salami Link

Kleiny
great link. ashame a lot of them use curing powders.

just found a use for the remaining pomagranite syrup i have left (sausage not salami so a little OT).
Lamb Sausage (Assyrian)
3 pounds ground lamb
1 Tsp salt
1tsp coarse ground black pepper
1 Tsp basil leaves, minced fine
1/4 cup pomegranate juice
1 tsp tarragon
Hog casings for stuffing
Mix together all ingredients and stuff into casings.Twist into 5-inch lengths.

so with your salami its just salt and making thinner salami to counteract the potential for botulism etc? how many have you had go bad? rough % is ok. just trying to get an idea. I dont really want to use the cures etc as one of the reasons Im doing this is to stay away from all the preservitives etc and get back to old school natural
cooking

Yep just salt. The salami end up being 2" think, never had a bad one. when they are hanging we wipe any mould etc off them and when they are vaccum sealed we wipe them clean with a rag that has been in olive oil. the guys I do it with have been doing it for over 50 years in Australia and god knows how long the technique and method has been developed for in Calabria

sure botulism and other badies are a concern and if you are concerned then don't do it, but we are tough up here and can handle it! :D

Hey boys this is my recipe for salami

:icon_drool2: ROYCEYS SALAMI SENSATION :icon_drool2:

10 lm 45mm dry natural casting
10kg pork shoulder no 5 grind
300gm salt
500gm capsicum sauce
Bottle of red wine
20gm ground black peppercorn
15gm chilli flakes/seeds
5gm dry garlic
sprinkle sweet praprika

made this recipe a dozen times take around 4 weeks to dry if your not sure if its ready you can weigh it its ready when its lost 30% of its weight

30 grams of salt per kilo is the correct amount no less no more

Hey boys this is my recipe for salami

:icon_drool2: ROYCEYS SALAMI SENSATION :icon_drool2:

10 lm 45mm dry natural casting
10kg pork shoulder no 5 grind
300gm salt
500gm capsicum sauce
Bottle of red wine
20gm ground black peppercorn
15gm chilli flakes/seeds
5gm dry garlic
sprinkle sweet praprika

made this recipe a dozen times take around 4 weeks to dry if your not sure if its ready you can weigh it its ready when its lost 30% of its weight

simple as. nice Troy. so with the pork shoulder. is that whole shoulder ie with skin and fat on? or are you skinning it, and leaving the fat for use?

Yep, 3% is what we use. Weigh it, don't just guess.

In the lead up to sausage making, I went to a course run by Vince Garreffa of Mondos the other day. Some great info passed on, including:

• 3% salt. Use of cure is optional, although required by law for the big producers.
  • Use a female pig, as male pigs (unless castrated early) smell.
  • Mould isn't necessarily a bad thing. Some schools of thought are that mould will prevent the sausage from drying out too quickly.
  • If you have cold nights but warmish days, stick the sausages in the fridge for a week before hanging them. This encourages the formation of the mould on the sausages. When you take them out of the fridge, they will be tacky and a day or so after you hang them they'll form some mould on them, and prevent the sausage from drying too quickly.
  • If you want to encourage good salami mould, take the rind from an existing mouldy salami, and put it in a spray bottle with some water for 24hrs. Then spray this on the drying snags.

How do we know if the mould is good mould KS?

I think the general rule is

white mould ok, green mould not good, black mould bad

Yep, I've heard that. I've also heard that any mould is fine and won't kill you. But I think it's generally accepted that white is the good stuff...

CM2 everything but the skin & bones of the shoulder is used you can also ask your butcher for some back fat if the shoulder is a bit lean you want around 25% fat in your meat

CM2 everything but the skin & bones of the shoulder is used you can also ask your butcher for some back fat if the shoulder is a bit lean you want around 25% fat in your meat

put the caprcola recipe up.

Back