Salami 101

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes I am sending him one outside of this swap also - seems he managed to get in with out actually getting in - smart man!

I think we all could learn something from Steve!

I got a bottle of chilli in exchange for my salamis.

I think we all could learn something from Steve!

I got a bottle of chilli in exchange for my salamis.

Mercs - thanks very much. Will swap you a bottle chilli sauce in exchange if you like.
Cheers
Steve

Oh and Kirem - I only have the little one left in that pic!

I tried the chilli sauce on Monday, very nice.

I used it in a toasted ham and cheese (and chilli sauce) sandwich.

Thanks again Steve.

Dont you just love it when the post man delivers a surprise!

Thanks very much for the salami Mercs.....cant wait to get into it.

Some chilli sauce will be in the mail to you tomorrow!

Cheers
Steve

I tried the chilli sauce on Monday, very nice.

I used it in a toasted ham and cheese (and chilli sauce) sandwich.

Thanks again Steve.

Cool! Glad you like it.....it basically goes with anything.....even with a plate of shepherds pie n chips!
Cheers
Steve

Steve love the chilli sauce! That jar is not going to last long at all, Thanks :D

Kierem, the salami is great the only problem with it is keeping the wife and daughters away from it so I can actually have some!

Steve love the chilli sauce! That jar is not going to last long at all, Thanks :D

Kierem, the salami is great the only problem with it is keeping the wife and daughters away from it so I can actually have some!

Anyone want to swap some more salami for sauce? Im making another batch on the weekend.
Cheers
Steve

What skins do commercial company use on their salamis. Just got some DON hot hungarian salami and the skin is hardly chewable! Your eating it and you end up with a chewed up circle of skin that you just have to swallo whole as it doesnt break down!
Cheers
Steve

What skins do commercial company use on their salamis. Just got some DON hot hungarian salami and the skin is hardly chewable! Your eating it and you end up with a chewed up circle of skin that you just have to swallo whole as it doesnt break down!
Cheers
Steve

I dont think you are meant to eat the skin - peel it off and eat the salami. They would be the cologen made casings.

Epic bump.

That time of year is nearly upon us. Break out the mincers, clean the stuffers, werd up your butcher!

Epic bump.

That time of year is nearly upon us. Break out the mincers, clean the stuffers, werd up your butcher!

Damn straight, Got your cranking arm ready fents.... then once you're done we can make some salami :lol:

Going to get a sausage stuffer this year. I think it'll speed up the process remarkably, rather then using the old porkert to stuff the casings.

Q

yes Q, troy just brought a kenwood electric. It rocks. Took us 20 mins to do 5KG of BBQ snags the other night as opposed to 1hr on the hand stuffer.

maybe the next can be an apa/salami day.

thx for the info re kenwood stuffer Fents. im hoping to get a good mincer and stuffer for my 30th this year, so im collecting info on brands etc and dropping subtle hints to the missus.

besides my 2yr & 3yr olds are costing us a fortune in the amount of salami and snags they eat!

pigs are fattening up nicely

chilli sauce is made ready

nearly sausage time again.

pigs are fattening up nicely

chilli sauce is made ready

nearly sausage time again.

what state you in again kirem? if its vic we really should hook up for swaps.

I havent seen anyone using 'cure' for salami etc? its obviosuly not neccesary?

this bloke in Warrnambool sells all sorts of sausage/salami making stuff incl casings and equip. are his prices any good (having done little research myself).

I havent seen anyone using 'cure' for salami etc? its obviosuly not neccesary?

this bloke in Warrnambool sells all sorts of sausage/salami making stuff incl casings and equip. are his prices any good (having done little research myself).

depends on the type and the size of the casings afaik. I've used cure to make Saussison Sec which is a french style "salami". I've also made spanish style chorizo which used curing salts. If you want to make fat salami's the use of a lactic culture at least is recommended, as the inside stays "wet" longer and is thus more susceptible to going off.

It's easier to stick to making the thinner salami

Q

If anyone in the ACT is into making their own. Give me a hoy. Always willing to help out and learn something new....especially when you can eat it at the end. Surely BrewerPetes into Salami, he's into everything else home made?

Cheers
Steve

Back