Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katherine

Reaction score
I've being looking into next beers to brew.

I like the look of Saison due to the high temp fermentation (have no fermentation fridge as yet)...

I have never tried a Saison, before I brew one I would like to try the style, can anybody recommend a commerical brand to try!

Cheers

Katie

Dupont is a good starting point.

Saison Dupont, Matilda Bay Barking Duck

i've got a bottle of halfluck saison you can try if u want :)

Saison Dupont, Matilda Bay Barking Duck

i've got a bottle of halfluck saison you can try if u want :)

Thanks Rob...

I'm thinking the Freo Dr on the way home will be my best luck for that...

And yes would love to try... THANKS

By the way bottling on Sunday, so hopefully have fine drop in my glass in two weeks time. Then hopefully can control ourselves to hold on to some bottles.

I think the Freo doctor has Saison Dupont

And You can reculture the yeast from it

From memory I have had the Matilda Bay Barking Duck, I remember not being that keen. Probably to keen to drink the IPA I would say.

I think the Freo doctor has Saison Dupont

And You can reculture the yeast from it

They surely do, only two bottles though.... one with my name on it...

Ummm, I didn't enjoy the Barking Duck much either.

You can, and will, make a better beer. No apologies to Matilda Bay. This beer did not travel well, or wasn't very flavoursome in the first place.

Saison brewers should be aware that, as with all Belgian yeasts, if you warm them up and cool them down they may flocc out and go to sleep. The result is an incomplete ferment.
Keep the beer at brew temp, no temp drops, and raise the temp (up to 32 C) at the end of the fermentation to finish up and dry out the beer, as well as to add a little fruitiness.

Best of luck with the Saison. There's one on my brew-horizon too.

Hey if you guys want a really good local Saison try and get your hands on Temple Saison. Not a bad approximation at all. :super:

Warren -

Ummm, I didn't enjoy the Barking Duck much either.

You can, and will, make a better beer. No apologies to Matilda Bay. This beer did not travel well, or wasn't very flavoursome in the first place.

Saison brewers should be aware that, as with all Belgian yeasts, if you warm them up and cool them down they may flocc out and go to sleep. The result is an incomplete ferment.
Keep the beer at brew temp, no temp drops, and raise the temp (up to 32 C) at the end of the fermentation to finish up and dry out the beer, as well as to add a little fruitiness.

Best of luck with the Saison. There's one on my brew-horizon too.

How long do I rise the temp for????

I recall Jamil saying that after fermentation settles down after the first few days he slowly increases the temp by perhaps 1C a day up to around 28. As Lez suggested (and I experienced firsthand) if you let the temp drop you will be a likely candidate for a stuck ferment.
Cheers
Doug

Hey Guys,

in reguards to ramping temps and sluggish ferments i believe you are talking about Wyeast 3724??

i don't think its necessary with Wyeast 3711 French Saison or Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse Ale

Rob.

Hey Guys,

in reguards to ramping temps and sluggish ferments i believe you are talking about Wyeast 3724??

i don't think its necessary with Wyeast 3711 French Saison or Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse Ale

Rob.

Im always learning, I thought this was a good choice to brew now the weather is warming up and yet to get fridge. I was wondering how I would increase the temp in a uncontrolled environment. So it is possible???

I've being looking into next beers to brew.

I like the look of Saison due to the high temp fermentation (have no fermentation fridge as yet)...

I have never tried a Saison, before I brew one I would like to try the style, can anybody recommend a commerical brand to try!

Cheers

Katie

Katie,

Doc has a great recipe for a Saison.if you can hunt that one down .

I sometimes lack confidence in a beer that I am unsure what it should taste like .

some beers are an aquired taste

My daughter and her boyfriend loved the beer which we had a really good night and finished off the keg .

Pumpy :)

For a Saison my yeast of choice is WLP 565 Saison yeast [from Wallonia I believe], don't know if it matches the Wyeast strains, keep it warm and it's great.

I'll try Saison Duport tonight... see if I like the style then decide if I will brew it or not.

There's Silly Saison as well. Try Dan Murphy's or 1st Choice.
Had it early this year, so can't really remember too much about it.

I was wondering how I would increase the temp in a uncontrolled environment. So it is possible???

I use a 40 watt bulb under an upturned milk crate with the fermenter on top of it for 3724.

Latest posts

Back