Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Guys,

in reguards to ramping temps and sluggish ferments i believe you are talking about Wyeast 3724??

i don't think its necessary with Wyeast 3711 French Saison or Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse Ale

Rob.
W3724 is the only Saison yeast I have experience with, and I had no problem (except time) to get to 90% apparent attenuation. It's a slow finisher.

Regarding temp control where no control exists, you could use a 100 can cooler or blankets, but better to wait until control is available. An old fridge or freezer (unplugged, for insulation only) with a heat pad (or a light bulb) and a temp controller should work, but will obviously cost some $$, but not as much as a working fridge.

W3724 is the only Saison yeast I have experience with, and I had no problem (except time) to get to 90% apparent attenuation. It's a slow finisher.

Regarding temp control where no control exists, you could use a 100 can cooler or blankets, but better to wait until control is available. An old fridge or freezer (unplugged, for insulation only) with a heat pad (or a light bulb) and a temp controller should work, but will obviously cost some $$, but not as much as a working fridge.

I do have a heat pad...

Have had the wyeast 3274 going on a 1090 OG brew for 3 weeks now.

Had an initial medium/small krausen (then was sitting slowly at about 18C).
Added the extra KG of belgian candy at about 5 days (i think) and built temp to 30C (after advice here) and it had a decent krausen (glad wrapped top so was visible).

Has now been chugging steadily (between 26C and 30C) with constant small bubbling and some pooled bubbles on top still.

I am refusing to check SG again untill it has completely stopped visible bubbling.

Don't expect a quick brew with this yeast ;)

On the up side it smells bloody fantastic :D

I ended up trying the Saison Dupont which was not bad but to sweet for me. The following day I got a bottle of Gage Roads Saison (limited release) I found it a little better but maybe that was because I could have a second glass and my palate got used to it.

As I brew double batches I don't think I could handled 40 so litres of this style of beer.

Cheers

Katie :icon_cheers:

I found Dupont's Avec les bon voeux better then the plain saison.

I found Dupont's Avec les bon voeux better then the plain saison.

oh yeah.... that shit is amazing

marlow coates you will have 11-12% beer with a 1090 beer with saison yeast!!!!

i think seeing as our climate is made for belgian yeasts australia should make saisons a national style .... and because we have so many fat people that like lo-carb beer

I picked up one of these gage roads saisons this arvo, are saisons the kind beer that you can cellar for a year or two? or would i be barking up the wrong tree?? :blink:

try it first, then if you liked it getone for the cellar

Back