Saison Yeast Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first post so hello all, I am fairly new to home brew 10 brews in using kits and bits
Right now I am supping on a coopers cerveza kit made with a kilo of ldme some wheat malt and vodka sterilised saffron and blood orange oil brewed with da star belle saison...it is gorgeous. I have a 5 month bock kit wheat beer kit toucan which has turned out almost like a pelforth clone ( massive fluke ) made with m27.
saison yeasts seem forgiving, chew through a shed load of ferment able and best of all aren,t fussy about temperatures at normal sub 30 ranges...what's more they contribute a wonderful spicy ness and character to a brew.

I love european beers having only lived in oz for 6 years but if you want to explore interesting tasty beers you cannot go wrong brewing at room temps with a saison yeast...all this talk of " funk" that YouTube reviews mentions seems frankly wine tasting bullshit.
Clean tasting mc lagers they are not, but go on a limb and saison yeasts will deliver a smile
I am now experimenting with t58 to try and produce lefFe type clones, will report back.
No need for fermenter fridges when sub 25 room temps can produce such yummy brews.
God bless beer!!!

I've ordered some Dupont, can't seem to find any down here in the Gong. Might not be looking hard enough though.

Once I've tried that and compared to the lighter style I had the other day I think I'll order some ingredients. Looking at the 7 day forecast for Wollongong and the above posts Danstar Belle Saison it is.

Keep it simple. If I like it I'll try a Wyeast the next time.

Thanks for the help guys.

So I tried a bottle of Dupont Saison today. Much more "funky" than the Saison I tried the other day. I regularly make Sourdough and Saison definitely seems to be the Sourdough of the beer world, i love it!

Ordered my ingredients today, went with Danstar Belle Saison for the first brew.

Oh how I long to do a Saison.
No fridge required.
Allow to 'warm naturally' to the 30's in the typical Aussies summers.

The dry crisp taste suited for brewing in the the Aussie climate and drinking under the scorching Australian sun.

But lo, I reside in Orange, where mid-spring it will be a top of 12°C next Tuesday and was 2°C when I walked to work this morning. My yeast starter has been on the stir plate for 24h and just fired up these evening as the house got into the high teens.
Maybe I will try one in the middle of summer, but I have a feeling the hot weather will be over before this slow yeast has finished its thing. Like an action movie, I have 1-2 weeks to take advantage of it before the high temp window closes.

F___ this town. Lagers it is.

Latest posts

Back