Saflager S-23

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffyjudd

Reaction score
using this yeast for the first time with coopers pilsener what should i set the temp at for it ? i was thinking 12.2dec (temp controller on fridge)

I like 12 but you can go lower even 9. Its a very clean yeast at 12

i never done a lager/pilsener how much longer does fermentation take roughly
my ale 14 days fermentation then 7 days cold chill
would a lager be about
21 days fermentation 7 days cold chill
(making sure the hydrometer reading is right n the beer is finished fermentation )

i never done a lager/pilsener how much longer does fermentation take roughly
my ale 14 days fermentation then 7 days cold chill
would a lager be about
21 days fermentation 7 days cold chill
(making sure the hydrometer reading is right n the beer is finished fermentation )

Most times s-23 will get it done in 2 weeks. A beer with a lot of malt may take longer.

most times 2 weeks ferment and 1 week chill.

Cheers

Most times s-23 will get it done in 2 weeks. A beer with a lot of malt may take longer.

most times 2 weeks ferment and 1 week chill.

Cheers

hi guys , what do you mean by 1 week chill ? is this for kegging

Actually looked this up yesterday. Fermentis recommend 12. Make sure you double your dose if you pitch at this temp though.

''Make sure you double your dose if you pitch at this temp though.''
what do u mean 2 packets of s-23 yeast?

cold chill is just turning the frigde down to about 0-1 for a week helps clear ur beer before kegging /bottle
i put finning in on day 1 of cc n polyclar day 4of cc

i try not to even move my fermenter at all , just worried id stir up all the sedi on the bottom

Bacchus Brewing (aka Craftbrewer) use s-23 in many of their lagers and ferment for ten days at ..... boom boom tish .... 19 then crash at a couple of degrees in the other coolroom for 10 days.
Tried Ross's Korona lookalike the other day when I was there, clean as a whistle.

I used S-23 a couple of times when I was doing kits and bits, before I had a fridge, and it turned out really well.

Good lager yeast, little fruitier than S-189 but ferments clean and flocculates pretty well.

Personally, I would rehydrate 2 packets in sterile water ... then slowly (pour, wait, pour, wait) add your chilled (10C) wort to the yeast until it has adjusted to the same temp then tip it all in.

No point killing the yeast from temp shock and dry sprinkle.

Latest posts

Back