Saflager S-23?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sid

Reaction score
Hey all, I 'm thinking of doing a lager/pilsner soon, Just want to make sure one packet of saflager S-23 will do the job at 12c-15c, or can I go lower...........and how long do you ferment these at those temps, I haven't done any real AG lagers before.

thanx, Sid.

Hey sid, you'd probably want 2 packets for a standard batch. Most lager yeasts go OK at 10C. Make sure the worts around 10-12C before pitching. Lagers take longer to ferment than Ales. Give it 3 weeks, than raise the temp to 18C for a couple of days. GL.

I've had s-23 down to 5-6 degrees before with no problems at all, but at the same time your yeast pitching rate is pretty low. You'd want to pitch about 2 packets of s-23 to get a lager fermenting good.
That said, when I last used s-23, I made a dead basic K&K lager, pitched the yeast straight from the packet and used it to grow up a yeast cake which I pitched my pilsner (and later my CAP) onto. Not bad stuff, pretty clean when treated right.

Cheers,

Mr. Moonshine

I've had s-23 down to 5-6 degrees before with no problems at all,
Cheers,

Mr. Moonshine
I'd be going as low as 9 and no lower....
How long did 5 take to ferment out ,Mr Moonshine ? Would have though it would have stalled....
Ferg

My FWK in keg was brewed with 2x S-23.
I pitched re-hydrated yeast after 20 min into 16 degrees and fermented it for 2 weeks at 8-9 degrees.
I lowered the temp after rack and a brief diacetyl rest to 4- 5 degrees and while in secondary(cube) and it still produced CO2 for a week or so after.

It still managed to produce some esters and the slightest fruitiness. More like a fluffy lager then pilsner.

Very drinkable though.

The quickest I drank a lager is 6 weeks from first day of brewing.

I pitch one pack at around 20C and when she fires drop the temp to around 11C.

IMHO S-23 won't make a good Pilsner... Wrong type of yeast... It will however make a good lager.

get ready for your fermentation area to smell like a fart s-23 throughs a bit of sulfur from what i have experienced

hey thanks for the info guys.

I have tried the wheat yeast before, which threw out quite a bit of sulphur, wasn't drinkable either untill about week 12, the smell was too over powering....that was just a partial done at a warmer temp.

Just got an old fridge so I will be able to brew some lagers now at the colder temps, but I was hoping to get away with one yeast packet.............can you make a yeast starter and then pitch that into your brew instead of buying 2 packets?, should multiply the yeast some.
The packet on saflager S-23 say's one packet for room temp..........whats this...around 20c?, I would think this would throw alot of sulphur as well........which I wouldn't want.

sid.

The packet on saflager S-23 say's one packet for room temp..........whats this...around 20c?, I would think this would throw alot of sulphur as well........which I wouldn't want.

See my previous post...

I haven't had problems with excessive sulphur, and have produced beers that have won their categories with this method.

Rehydrate, pitch at 20Cish, krausen forms drop temp down to where you want it.

See my previous post...

I haven't had problems with excessive sulphur, and have produced beers that have won their categories with this method.

Rehydrate, pitch at 20Cish, krausen forms drop temp down to where you want it.

sounds good then, I'll give a lager a go using your method................I have too many ales and not enough lager's...........this will keep everyone happy over summer.

Was going to used pilsner malt with vienna malt 50/50, saflager S-23 and super alpha/Hallertau hops..............hopefully this make something passable for a first attempt.

sounds good then, I'll give a lager a go using your method................I have too many ales and not enough lager's...........this will keep everyone happy over summer.

Was going to used pilsner malt with vienna malt 50/50, saflager S-23 and super alpha/Hallertau hops..............hopefully this make something passable for a first attempt.

Sounds good. If you're after a summer quoffer I'd back the vienna off a little, but that sounds tasty as is.

Edit: Don't forget to do a diacetyl rest when its finished... Bring it back up to 18-20C for a day or two before you chill.

Edit: Don't forget to do a diacetyl rest when its finished... Bring it back up to 18-20C for a day or two before you chill.

Ok, thanks for your help...............roll on summer lagers.

Back