Safety

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to reiterate, the wort was cold when it was lifted up for gravity feed. The pump addresses this issue. Personally it means the Lauter Helix will be taking gardening leave.

It would be utterly insane to lift boiling wort up that high, and it makes no sense for anyone (BIAB or not) to do so. The most lifting for a BIAB is post mash, I've not dropped my malt pipe back where 78c wort splashes, but I can see how that could be a concern for some.

The Grainfather allows you to pump into a Fermenter ( as with Robobrew?) and the Braumeister users need a mod to do the same, which I'll have ready for my next batch.

Many moons ago, before the Grainfather I had built my own system, which utilises the pump in a similar way as you. I like the fact that the pump gets a nice wash while it works on the chilling [emoji3]

Ahh ok sorry I didn't read the original post properly! Yes I agree there are major concerns with hot wort and gain bags, I used to lift the bag straight out of my pot and put a strainer underneath with my spare hand and that was pretty dodgey, now I use a rope and pully like most biaber these days

Thanks everyone for your comments on this topic. I've now got a bit of a manual in my head:
  • No lifts higher than 16kg.
  • No moving hot vessels
  • Pull bag w double purchase tackle (already did this and felt much better)
  • No drinking till fermenter fill on brew day
  • Kettle as low to the ground as poss
  • Safety chain on the kettle in case of topple
  • Wear boots and longs
  • Get some better gloves
  • No visitors nor animals in brew area
  • Wear PPC in immediate safety area around the kettle
  • No trailing hoses to trip over
Merry Christmas

Quite comprehensive. Add signage and you are ready for an inspection by the officials.

Producing ethanol is dangerous in of itself, squeeze oranges instead.

Nullnvoid even wears his to bed.
It's a tough gig being a head-brewer at a Vic case swap. Maybe he just forgot to take it off, or maybe he liked the attention...?

Back to the subject:

1. Use your head, not your back.
2. Plan your brewing gear & brew-day & think about potential areas of up-fuckage/danger before you start (see rule #1).
3. Spend good money on anything that will make life easier/safer to brew, not bad money on the shiny-blingy stuff that won't make a blind bit of difference to the overall quality.

Shelling-out a few $'s on pumps/hosing for transfers or planning a hoisting mechanism for your BIAB/Grainfather/Robobrew is a shitload cheaper (& less painful) than spending time in hospital with no income &/or an angry boss/SWMBO.

If you plan correctly, you can still have fun, get the job done in good time & have a few bevvies whilst you do it.

Solid advice

Can i add. Apply the tradies rule of measure twice cut once. Ie

Before opening or closing valves for transfer double check connections.

This will help prevent boiling wort pouring onto your feet or other uncovered appendages

Solid advice

Can i add. Apply the tradies rule of measure twice cut once. Ie

Before opening or closing valves for transfer double check connections.

This will help prevent boiling wort pouring onto your feet or other uncovered appendages
I deliberately planned my main brew-rig at such a level that when I brew naked, there's no way anything hot can get at my uncovered appendages:phew:

Manticle & I have an ongoing bet (a six-pack of Westy 12) that I won't dare brew naked during a Kinglake winter & I fear he may actually get the better of me (for safety reasons of course.....).

Bung back can certainly upset SWMBO especially if it screws with other enjoyable activities, beer helps though.

I fell asleep for a nano-second whilst leaning on the kettle as it was transferring to FV's - could've made a mess of the trub in the kettle with the sudden jolt back to cogmentus. I was holding a torch to watch the trub cone appear too - dodged a bullet there I reckon foa shoa

Being an old bugger, I have looked to make things as easy and safe as possible. I BIAB and No Chill with a 40L Crown urn, and transfer into two 10L cubes. Silicon hose transfer, with hose controlled with kitchen tongs, and paper towel to hold hot part of hose. I use three grain bags, 1.5 - 2.0 kg each. My beers finish at 4.5% - 6.5% ABV. Easy Peasy! I wear socks and sneakers, not thongs! WHS will not visit me! Beers are rated "awesome" by family and friends (freeloaders).

I am just doing 10L batches, BIAB on the stovetop, so no heavy lifting & I get to brew more often so get to try more things. Works for me.

I once tried lifting my pot with 50L of wort but leaned back too far and branded the back of my leg on my burner. Don't be stupid like me.

Back