Safbrew W-68 - Dried Weihenstephaner Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobB

Reaction score
I stumbled upon this information on the fermentis site:

w-68 Link

Is this new or have I just had my head in the sand?

Given the excitement that accompanied the recent releases of WB-06 and Danstar Munich, I'm sure this must be new.

So, who sells it and who's tried it?

Coud it be WB-06? They both share the same temp range properties...

Interesting, haven't seen this one. Your link works fine, but If i go to the main site, I can't find it anywhere...must be well hidden ;)

Don't think it's new, though....I downloaded the pdf instead of opening in the browser, and had a look at the file properties. Apparantley the file was created in 2004.

The craftbrewer linky one is the equivilant to 34/70

kram, I don't think its the same....although wb06 doesn't have a lot of flavour profile detail in it, which I would have thought it would if it was the banana/vanila/ clove like the weihenstaphen. Tried wbo6 once, got just cloves and little else. But I don't know, maybe it is.

The W68 strain never happened unfortunately. Fermentis spent years trying to get it to dry properly and in the end abandoned the project. WB06 is a different strain but is the Fermentis Weizen yeast offering.

Wes

The W68 strain never happened unfortunately. Fermentis spent years trying to get it to dry properly and in the end abandoned the project. WB06 is a different strain but is the Fermentis Weizen yeast offering.

Wes

aaaaahhh. Thats very interesting. If nothing else, it shows a good sense of quality from the fermentis people. Abandoning it after no doubt spending a ton of money and time, instead of releasing a substandard product.

Wes

That's a shame. I was starting to get pretty excited. I wonder how close they came to getting it right, given that they've put together the specification sheet.

Latest posts

Back