Safale Us-56

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I have been fermenting an Aussie Ale using Safale US-56 dried yeast two packs in 40 litres ( been going strong for a week )and after a week at 21C it still has a heavy krausen!!!!

Is this normal after 7 days ???

Pumpy

I have been fermenting an Aussie Ale using Safale US-56 dried yeast two packs in 40 litres ( been going strong for a week )and after a week at 21C it still has a heavy krausen!!!!

Is this normal after 7 days ???

Pumpy

had the same thing here pumpy once or twice

Franko

if you can drop the temp, like putting the fermente in the

If it has'nt dropped within the next day, take to it with a cricket bat.
That is one voracious yeast.

Had the same problem with this yeast the last 6 times I've used it, few others have commented on the change in behaviour also. The krausen is slimy and it doesn't floc as well as it used to, tastes nice and yeasty, no infection but it has definitely changed.

The krausen is slimy and it doesn't floc as well as it used to, tastes nice and yeasty, no infection but it has definitely changed.

And here I was thinking it was coz I'd had it in the fridge to long and was getting old.. have been useing Nottingham for most and used up a few old'er suplies to clear the fridge, noticed the same thing .. heavy krausen and not flocking out ...mmmmm

:beer:

Had the same problem with this yeast the last 6 times I've used it, few others have commented on the change in behaviour also. The krausen is slimy and it doesn't floc as well as it used to, tastes nice and yeasty, no infection but it has definitely changed.

Good, it's not just me. Last two brews have done this, thrown a slimy krausen at the end of fermentation.
The first of these DID get infected and had to be tipped, but the slimy head (it turns out now) is coincidental. You can imagine the swearing when I saw my second one had the same slimy krausen and I thought it was infected, especially when I'd gone to so much trouble to sanitise.

Same problem here guys.

Seems to have turned into more of a regular top cropper... I've even had it climb out the fermenter a couple of times at 17 degrees and make a bit of a mess in the fridge. Krausen seems to want to crust and sit on the top of the ferment for a while. I found crash cooling the fermenter at the end seemd to help a lot. :blink:

Has changed in terms of fermentation characteristics but flavour profile seems pretty much the same.

Warren -

Noticed a similar thing myself with 2 packets of US-56 on top of a 1.075 IAPA with about 97 IBU's.

Dry-hopped with ~75g Cascade and chilled to about 2 degrees Celsius overnight and while cold, took Ross's advice and filtered the batch.

Was crystal clear and almost all gone the next day.

Beerz
Seth :p

Pumpy

Pic showing how it's behaved in my American Brown. Repitched at 15 degrees. Took off in hours and went totally mental. :blink:

Just managed to pull the blowoff hoses out today 3 days after pitching.

dsc01844ve3.jpg

Warren -

Pumpy

Pic showing how it's behaved in my American Brown. Repitched at 15 degrees. Took off in hours and went totally mental. :blink:

Just managed to pull the blowoff hoses out today 3 days after pitching.

dsc01844ve3.jpg

Warren -

Wow Warren

I never thought of fermenting in glass nice to see whats going on

Whats that wire is it an oil filled thermostat sensor where does that go

and silicone stoppers nioce expensive

Whats that little bit of foam do ?

Pumpy

I tested the SG and it has way to go its still fermentingafter a week and has a greasy layer of yeast covering its top fermenting at 21C

there goes the '21st Aussie Ale 'being ready for Saturday party

bad day at work .
at home the tile cleaner broke ,
my daughter failed to pick up the parcel from craftbrewer
and now the 2Ist Aussie ale wont be ready ,

I am going to crawl into a hole and die ,

well go to bed will do

Pumpy :(

Ive an AG APA in primary at the moment with US56. The krausen is only about 3 cms. Never had a US 56 that was a climber.
Cheers
Steve

Might have been a batch??? I had the weird Krausen thing on the stout I brewed for St Pats day. The yeast just wouldn't drop... but once I crashed it down to 3C, bang, straight to the bottom and clear in 3 days. Mine did fully ferment inside of a week, just wouldn't drop out.

I thought it was because it was a packet that accidentally got tossed in the freezer with some hops and left there for a few months. It worked out fine in the end and the stout was really good..

Thirsty

Wow Warren

I never thought of fermenting in glass nice to see whats going on

Whats that wire is it an oil filled thermostat sensor where does that go

and silicone stoppers nioce expensive

Whats that little bit of foam do ?

Pumpy

Pumpy.

It's my old capiliary thermostat. I usually use a Fridgemate but I've got that on my serving fridge ATM while I'm carbing my kegs. (Note to thyself: Get another Fridgemate soon).

I usually put the foam between the carboys to act as insulation so the probe reads the temp of the glass rather than the air temp in the fridge.

Silicone bungs are $6 each. No better than rubber IMO. In hindsight I wouldn't have bothered. ;)

Warren -

Ive an AG APA in primary at the moment with US56. The krausen is only about 3 cms. Never had a US 56 that was a climber.
Cheers
Steve

I repitched some us56 into my current IPA and it had a 15-20cmm krausen. Looks like its all done after 4 days at 17-18C, 1.066 to 1.014 and I bumped the temp up 2C to make sure it finishes off... sort of a diacetyl rest.

I had the greasy post-krausen as well for a stout I recently did with US-56.
I didn't worry about it and the beer tastes ok.....

The biggest problem I had was I pitched the whole yeast cake of US-56 from a previous brew into the stout and it went mad. I'm going to have to look at a blowoff hose.
I tried to control the ferment by dropping the temp from 18 to 16 but that caused the little buggers to stop fermenting and go to sleep. Dry Irish Stout finished at 1017 as a result. Wouldn't budge.

I tried to control the ferment by dropping the temp from 18 to 16 but that caused the little buggers to stop fermenting and go to sleep. Dry Irish Stout finished at 1017 as a result. Wouldn't budge.

Thats strange Geoff, I repitched a whole yeast cake at 16 and fermented between 17-18 and it went nuts.

Ditto

See my previous pic. The blowoff jar had enough slurry to easily pitch another batch. :ph34r:

Warren -

Latest posts

Back