Safale us-05 temp question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wil.j

Reaction score
Hey guys.

New to brewing and have been reading up on the forum for a few weeks now. I've done a few kits, starting with a brown ale and then a basic US style pale ale.

Next project is an IPA extract brew with zythos hops. I was going to ferment at 16-18*C as I was told to keep the last pale ale at the lower end of the spectrum (it used Nottingham yeast). But the guy in the shop said 16*C would be too low for the IPA (which uses safale us-05 yeast) and to try to keep it around 20*C.

So, should I ferment it in the garage at 16-18*C or in the house at 20-21*C?

Apologies for the life story but appreciate any advice!

Keep it in the garage at 16 - 18 for the first 48 hours, then move it into the house at 20 - 21.

i often ferment us05 at 16-17 and its super clean but have had the same experience with fermenting at 19-20. i reckon the sweet spot is right in the middle at about 18 but the difference would be extremely tiny i'm sure. try it in the garage and then make another one in the house and compare :)

Wow thanks for the quick replies guys!

Yob said:
IPA with zythos? .
Yep. Not sure if that's a good idea or not? Ingredients in the pack are:

Ingredients include
Pilsner Malt
Munich Malt
Crushed Carapils Grain
Zythos Hops
Safale US05 Premium Ale yeast

I just fermented in a pit with US-05, starting at 15 C. No problem. At lower temps than that I've used Notty.

The stated temp range is 12-25 which is quite a bit of head room for experimenting with.

I am not an experienced brewer to say the least, but I would have thought the ferment temp is down to the yeast not the style of beer!

I have had an all zythos IPA. Very nice.

Latest posts

Back