Safale: S-04, strikes again!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rookie brewer here.
Just adding my latest, second batch ever is bottle conditioning now.
I experimented with a kit n kilo, Bavarian lager kit split in half but I swapped the yeast for S-04 and chucked in 500g dark malt extract also, filled to 8L instead of 11.5L.
OG 1064
FG 1021
3 weeks at room temp in Melbourne but really it finished late week 2 but inexperienced I thought it would drop similar to other usual standard kits, i.e 1010ish...
All good though, every hydro sample tasted really good! Now bottled and should be carb'd up next weekend

I'd be careful with those bottles, FG of 1.021 sounds high for a kit beer. It's not been the warmest in melbs and the yeast may have stalled (this strain is notorious for this). With warm weather coming back next week, I'm a little worried fermentation could kick off again in the bottles...maybe keep them under a heavy blanket as a fail safe? How long was the FG stable for before bottling?

Hope it's just me being paranoid for your sake, but better to be safe than sorry!

Thanks AJ80, that's a bugger!
I too thought it was high, kept it in the laundry at 24deg for the last week hoping to lower it, before that in a wardrobe at 18deg. FG was stable for 6 days I think
Best to lock these monsters away for a few weeks just to be safe!

Is it a good idea to pitch two packets of yeast generally?

You never know, it may have finished, but I'd say it stalled. I'd recommend drinking sooner rather than later - if the bottles start to gush at opening try and stick the whole batch in the fridge.

amount of yeast to pitch really depends on your OG and volume - there are some pretty handy online calculators (Mr Malty, etc) which will help you target your exact pitch rate.

It happens mate, a few of my early brews were bottled early and ended up overcarbed.

Back