Safale S-04 Ale Yeast Off Flavours.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mate.......did you google Australia or Mars.......what are you on about. More-so.......what are you on? Share it around.
I know Jimboley has his own HBS in Western Australia - you are not telling me something I did not know FFS.
The person that started this original post titled ...........

"Safale S-04 Ale Yeast Off Flavours., Anyone else experienced this?" is mitch089's topic, and mitch089's topic has Sweet **** All to do with this.....http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...showtopic=45847 .

I now know why you should be "Not be entitled to an opinion" :lol:

Holy hell! This has turned into a bit of a war!

Craig really hasn't done a thing wrong, I told him about the temp I can roughly get and keep and he gave me that one. I have had about 3 batches of beer that use s-04 and they've turned out beautifully, I just can't remember the temp I had them at. I think it was about 20-22C. When I told Craig of these temps, he said that it was a good temp for this Ale yeast, not absolutely dead on but GOOD!

As far as these problems I've been having recently over the last 3 batches, I'd say it's been due to the higher temps (24+) and Winter dropping the temp right off and then me having to try and heat it back up a fraction. No ones fault but mine and definitely not Craig's.

When I told him about the problems I've been having, he was as pissed off about it as I was. Besides the problems I've been having, he's been a bloody good help to me and he's a good bloke in general.

QSR, you wouldn't happen to be the owner of Black Bar or happen to be close friends with a Pom' named Steve would you? :p

I can't remember the exact name of brand, but it's in a cylindrical red cardboard case and it says Bakers Yeast. I'll have a proper look tomorrow for ya.

Cheers lads!

No Mitch........no war happening here......I was just playing around and winding up my ol'mate "bum" while you were out making Pizzas.

Glad to see you returned to clarify everything I have been saying while you were out.
Am I the owner of Black Bar or close friends with a Pom named Steve.......... :) , you will need to ask me that when you see me Mitch.....lol.

Did you tell Peter that I said Hello? :D

Haha Chris it's good to put a name to the text! Mate I would have said hello to pete but I only got back home at 9:15.....sure as hell didn't want to be there for any longer :D I'll give him a buzz for ya tomorrow.

As far as temperature control goes when you don't have a keezer or anything with a thermostat controller...or even a head pad, I find it a hell of a lot easier to keep things cool in summer then keep things warm in winter. A bottle of ice can last half a day and still keeps things bloody cool.

Anyone find that too?

My parents are giving me the house later this year when they move so I'm going to get a nice chest freezer and convert it and myself over to kegging. You'll be a bloody good source of info Chris!

Mitch,

Am I the owner of Black Bar ( NO ) or close friends with a Pom named Steve ( NO ).......... , you will need to ask me that when you see me Mitch.....lol.

Now are you confused? :D

I would be happy to help you though. Just double check with me first before you go out and buy a 2 tap tower font for your freezer as I might ( maybe ) decide to sell mine when I eventually build my bar ( then I will be using a 6 tap porcelain glycol font ).
I may also be looking at selling 2 Andale taps to suite a beer fridge door or wall too. ( again maybe ).

God now I am confused... good job... Haha

Mate how do I know you?

I only buy my pizzas from there because they are absolutely Belissimo?

Ask Craig? :lol:

That doesn't help much at all! Great now I'll be wrecking my brain in bed tonight when I crash out :D

How do you know Craig?

Good to know that Pete and myself are doing something right haha

Cheers.

Craig and his family are good friends of mine

Hi everyone,

I've only just stopped using s-04 due to it's awful flavors kicked off and I just can't work out why. I've usually kept it at about 22-26C'.

Until now I thought that was within the safe range of the yeast but upon reading AHB, the best range is 16-17, close to what I have my US-05 at in my Black Rock Lager brew.

I really miss using this yeast. It's high flocculation and settling properties are just fantastic but I'm just scared to use it again. 3 batches now thrown out due to this awful flavor. Makes it worse that I used it always in my Coppers Mexican Cerveza so being a weak beer in flavor anyway, this off taste just absolutely dominated.....regardless of how much lemon or lime I used!

Anyone who has had a similar problems, I'd love to hear from you!

Kind regards,

Mitch.

Faaark me! Have never had a problem fermenting a lager using lager yeast at lager fermentation temp (08C - 12C).

Yeah I'd say it's definitely the temperature. The owner of the local brew shop was the one who gave it to me and said it was "in that style of beer"

A Prize Pullthrough!!!!

It's hard to say. Sort of like funky off tasting banana's. More or less something you'd never want to taste in a beer!...or much else for that matter.

What did you experience?

Could it have been green apple. Possibly due to finishing fermentation too early, maybe didn't leave the beer on the yeast to clean up after itself. Possibly rushing fermentation????

Hmmm makes me wonder if it was something cleaning wise. I'll use a packet of 'no rinse' I just got twice over with the next time i make a beer that uses s-04

Thousands of home brewers use S-04 yeast every day. Tell you something!!!

+1 to only having problems with S04 when it ferments too warm. When it has been up to 22-24C it's left a rank banana ish taste in my Ales. Since making sure I keep it down nearer 17C I've only had good results.

Lack of understanding of fermentation management.

Bull. Shit. S04 is the obvious choice non-lager yeast for this style? Ridiculous. Even the yeast in the tin would be better. LHBS owner is an idiot.

Good advice

I would be really interested to know how to tell visually the difference between ale and lager yeast.

Anyway, S04 is a great yeast, it produces clean English style ales, a hint of ester but generally subdued especially at lower fermentation temps. If you are getting banana overtones you have an infection, end of story.
Problem is of course that dry (true) lager yeasts are expensive and you really need to double the pitch rate of an ale yeast, you wil not make a (proper
) lager at fermentation temps above 15C, so you are better to use a clean ale yeast such as US05 or Nottingham.

K

Good advice

QSR, I'm glad nothing was misinterpreted as far as Craig goes. I'm a big user of the phrase "small world" and that proves it! I just had to make clear that I was the one who buggered the brews up, not him in any way, shape or form. I have to pop in and get some product off him tomorrow. His latest recommendation of the BlackRock Lager with us-05 is turning out fantastic. I think I might drop another of that batch onto the us-05 trub once I rack the previous.

Cheers for all the great info everyone.

Mitch.

Back