S/s Ball Valve

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Slowly, bit by bit, I am buying the equipment I need to go all-grain. For the mash tun I've got a large Coleman esky. Thanks to Wayne at www.beerbelly.com.au I got a Falsie tun bottom screen. Now today I went to Reece plumbing and picked up a s/s ball valve , 3pce. I ordered it the other day without knowing what it looked like. Now that I have it, I'm not sure if I've got the right one. Looking at it, I can't figure out how to go about attaching it to the esky. You can probably tell that I'm mechanically challenged.

Can someone tell me if this ball valve will do the job, or should I really use a 1pce valve? Thanks in advance.

DSCF0024.jpg

What you need is a threeded peice to go from the valve to the esky drain hole. Take the hole lot esky and all back to reese and explain what it is you want to do. I am sure they will have what you need.

Kabooby :)

Those are the valves i use, they do the job nicely, can be broken down for cleaning in a couple of minutes.

Just out of interest, what was the damage for the valve?

and you need a peice of all thread to screw into the valve, then through your esky to the inside. or a bulkhead fitting.

Those 'Swan' low pressure ball valves over here ~$30.
Good stuff, already pulled mine down after 4 brews. Glad I bought the 3 piece.

Have a look on the grain and grape site they have the long threaded pipe and also you will need large S/S washeres and some o rings as well to stop it from leaking

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/index.php?cPath=1_2_10

Plumb. Parts & Weldless Fittings

I dont know if i have added the link right but i hope it works.

Yep it does work

Its the second last thing on page 2

you could just get one of my SS bulkhead fittings for esky's....... ;)

bulkheadand%20tap.JPG

bulkheadinside.JPG

(They haven't made it onto the website yet, so little time, so much to do....)

hi domonsura,

what is the cost for your esky fitting?

regards old dog

Busboy,
you can get all the pieces you need from bunnings too..
1 x 6 inch all thread (plumbing)
2 x lock nuts (plumbing)
1 x packet of fibre washers (gardening, hose area normally)
2 x S/S washers (not all bunnings have these to fit over the all thread)
1 x barbed hose fitting (plumbing)

cheers
KoNG

Busboy,
you can get all the pieces you need from bunnings too..
1 x 6 inch all thread (plumbing)
2 x lock nuts (plumbing)
1 x packet of fibre washers (gardening, hose area normally)
2 x S/S washers (not all bunnings have these to fit over the all thread)
1 x barbed hose fitting (plumbing)

cheers
KoNG
I've looked in 3-4 bunning for barbed hose fittings and none of them have had them. reeces wanted some ridiculous amount for a brass one (F. THAT!) but i found somewhere else asking less than half that. exact numbers elude me right now

ahh, you could be right, now that i think of it i may have had to get my barb fitting from 'hardware and general' in Brookvale. They were only cheap though (brass)... definately wasnt any price to baulk at.. coupla bucks.

I've looked in 3-4 bunning for barbed hose fittings and none of them have had them. reeces wanted some ridiculous amount for a brass one (F. THAT!) but i found somewhere else asking less than half that. exact numbers elude me right now

Lucas

Your local Tradelink will also have barbs and the other bits at similar prices to Bunnings. Where they differ though is if you take up your gear and explain to the bloke on the counter what you're trying to achieve they're only too happy to give you pretty good advice. B)

Always found my local Tradelink to be great NAYY. Just a happy customer.

Warren -

BusBoy,
A really neat and easy way to go is a skin fitting from a marine boating shop.
This comes with the stainless nut already,all you need is a couple of rubber washers and a bit of thread tape,you will find the price ok as well.

Link here

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdeta...tAbsolutePage=1

Batz

yeah, i think it was a tradelink where i ended up finding the cheap barbs

Thanks for all the replies guys. After I posted I thought about it and realised I would probably need a piece of threaded pipe.

Fixa. The valve cost $32.

Domonsura. I guess I should have asked when I bought the Falsie. How much for the bulkhead fitting?

Back