S*%$ F*%& C*%@ !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobsta

Reaction score
just went out to check my fermenter that had my swap beer in it, and noticed a thin translucent film on the top... pulled a sample out, sniffed it and swore for around 3 minutes. F&^$ing INFECTION!!!!! now i have to fast track a brew for the swap...

whats a good way to punish the fermenter that did this to me. i filled it with water and put in a couple of glugs of bleach and a couple of glugs of vineger. any other suggestions? it has been a naughty boy...

Lobby

Bleach should be enough - followed by a no rinse sanitiser if you can.
Make sure you clean all the threads and the tap really well and don't forget the lid and the seal.

Bleach and vinegar is a great sanitising duo. Cheap and deadly.

Follow with a good rinse, drain upside down and dry, store with a sprinkle of sodium met, then before you use it again a hit with some no-rinse sanitiser (iodophor or starsan etc).

I use possum-poo water from my tank, and since I've been running this kind of sanitation regime, no infections around here.

Make sure you sanitise your tap, O-rings etc as well.

Bleach should be enough - followed by a no rinse sanitiser if you can.
Make sure you clean all the threads and the tap really well and don't forget the lid and the seal.

the lid isnt a problem, i used the O ring that came with it to hold down a bunch of glad wrap. definitely not doing that again. i'm gonna try an idea i was given and put duct tape around the outside of the lid. (this was one of those water containers from bunnings with the red lids, and it doesnt have a good seal)

just went out to check my fermenter that had my swap beer in it, and noticed a thin translucent film on the top... pulled a sample out, sniffed it and swore for around 3 minutes. F&^$ing INFECTION!!!!! now i have to fast track a brew for the swap...

whats a good way to punish the fermenter that did this to me. i filled it with water and put in a couple of glugs of bleach and a couple of glugs of vineger. any other suggestions? it has been a naughty boy...

Lobby

Chances are that you got a wild yeast infection before the proper yeast could get a go on. What size was your starter (Did you give the wort a good oxygen fix), how long was it before you added the yeast to the fermenter? The list goes on.
As for the fermenter -- Give it a good swift kick in the guts -- Not that it will help much. :D

TP :beer:

Chances are that you got a wild yeast infection before the proper yeast could get a go on. What size was your starter (Did you give the wort a good oxygen fix), how long was it before you added the yeast to the fermenter? The list goes on.
As for the fermenter -- Give it a good swift kick in the guts -- Not that it will help much. :D

TP :beer:

lets see, i did a starter and left it till is was all foamy and stuff, i shook the fermenter up as well as i could considering it didnt have a lid, so that may have put the yeast on the back foot, the yeast was pitched straight after the fermenter was cool enough.

i think i might have pushed the cleanliness post boil a little close to the line. i was being impatient getting my big ice block (my cooling method) to melt, so i sprayed my arm with star san and plunged that in to mix up the wort a lil... probably didnt help... note to self, dont plan to go out clubbing on the same day as a brew...

caustic , about 30 gms of powder to 30 litres of water leave a few days and rinse thorougly .. cleans fermenters up like new again

lets see, i did a starter and left it till is was all foamy and stuff, i shook the fermenter up as well as i could considering it didnt have a lid, so that may have put the yeast on the back foot, the yeast was pitched straight after the fermenter was cool enough.

i think i might have pushed the cleanliness post boil a little close to the line. i was being impatient getting my big ice block (my cooling method) to melt, so i sprayed my arm with star san and plunged that in to mix up the wort a lil... probably didnt help... note to self, dont plan to go out clubbing on the same day as a brew...

Maybe try your leg next time :icon_drunk:
Sorry, just got back from the footy

Lobby

I'd join a local brewclub ;)

i was being impatient getting my big ice block (my cooling method) to melt, so i sprayed my arm with star san and plunged that in to mix up the wort a lil...

You`re looking for a laugh, surely?
No one would be that stupid , would they?:D

stagga

You`re looking for a laugh, surely?
No one would be that stupid , would they? :D

stagga

im not actually looking for a laugh. i saw on another thread somebody dropped something into their brew that didnt float, i think it was a airlock grommet, so they soaked their arm in iodophor and plunged it in to get it out, and the brew worked fine. i was just too fixated on going out clubbing that i rushed... im a bad boy...

....extra note to self; star san is not going to instantly sanitise a relatively filthy human arm either! That's gold...

Cheers,
TL

I have put hands into brew on number of occasions after a good wash in starsan - no problem so far and the gladwrap instead of lid is so common that there is no way that thats the root cause of the issue either.

To be honest I'm more suspicious of your "big ice block" than I am of your arm. What's your method for freezing that ice block? 'cause if it isn't freshly boiled water into a sealed and sanitised container, which you then sanitised again before you popped out the ice block - then its most likely riddled with bugs and critters from your freezer. There's a reason why not too many brewers chill by dropping a big block of ice into their wort - and sanitation is it

Still - maybe next time stir it with a sanitised spoon instead of your arm. Everyone gets an infection eventually. Don't fret and back onto the horse ASAP old son.

Better luck next brew.

TB

whats a good way to punish the fermenter that did this to me.

Throw a combustable liquid over it and light a match!! What has happened to you is one if not the worst thing that can happen. All that bloody hard work just so an undesirable nasty can take over. It would and has given me the F%%%*n S%*%s.

BYB

You put ice and your arm in the fermenter and you're worried about glad wrap?

You put ice and your arm in the fermenter and you're worried about glad wrap?

yeah, my arm was probably a bad idea. ive done the ice thing before and it worked out very tasty. i freeze it in sealed tupperwear containers, though i think i did forget to sanitize it this time... and smacking it with a hammer to break it up so it would fit through the top probaly didnt help. i sprayed the hammer with star san....

SHUT UP, i was going clubbing...

Lobby

New fermenter $60
New tap $10
The taste of uninfected beer Priceless

Latest posts

Back