Running Pc Fan To Cool Tower

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
Hey all,

My good missus bought me a keg master series 3 for by d'day. Was reading he about cooling the tower and have hooked up the pc fan etc. I was going to put the fan on a timer and just run it from 9am to 9pm, anybody see any issues with this???

Cheers

Hey all,

My good missus bought me a keg master series 3 for by d'day. Was reading he about cooling the tower and have hooked up the pc fan etc. I was going to put the fan on a timer and just run it from 9am to 9pm, anybody see any issues with this???

Cheers

I do most of my drinking later in the day. If I was using a timer on a fan for the font I'd probably set it for 4pm (so it was cool by 5) to midnight, with a manual override for late nights or early starts.

I do most of my drinking later in the day. If I was using a timer on a fan for the font I'd probably set it for 4pm (so it was cool by 5) to midnight, with a manual override for late nights or early starts.

+1 for this

If you got a 7 day timer you could have it come on at midday on weekends and 4 till midnight weekdays. If you have weekends off of course.

I think a manual switch, just hit it a few minutes before your first beer, and forget about it afterwards turn it off after the drinkies.

The font is a metal heat sink. Running the cold air into it when you are not using it will cost a lot more power.

The other thing I have been thinking of is a sleeve to put over the main tube of the font when not in use to insulate it better. But I just can't think of anything neat enough to have in the main house on display.

QldKev

I have a computer fan in my keg freezer, come fridge. I put one of those power meter thingys on it for 2 weeks and it didn't have a reading. The freezer was not that bad either, the fridges down the shed are another story.

I have a computer fan in my keg freezer, come fridge. I put one of those power meter thingys on it for 2 weeks and it didn't have a reading. The freezer was not that bad either, the fridges down the shed are another story.
Time to buy a new meter .
Nev

Batz were you testing to see if the freezer was drawing more power or were you testing the fans consumption? If testing the freezers consumption did you compare before and after cooling the font for that two weeks?
I think QldKev was talking about the fridge having to work more often to maintain tep with such a big heat sink on top. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Batz were you testing to see if the freezer was drawing more power or were you testing the fans consumption? If testing the freezers consumption did you compare before and after cooling the font for that two weeks?
I think QldKev was talking about the fridge having to work more often to maintain tep with such a big heat sink on top. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yep, that's is exactly what I was referring too. The fan would use bugger all power, it's the extra load on the fridge/freezer I am worried about.

QldKev

Sometime ago I read on here somewhere of someone running a cost on a PC fan turned on 24/7... it may have been Raven, not sure now. Nevertheless, after running continuously for 3 days they discontinued because it hadn't even registered 1c.

I have a test kit at home and run a PC fan on the chesty. I did a test last weekend and to run a 320L freezer with collar and a STC1000 with a 12V PC fan on 24/7 it was only 23c for 24 hours.

I will put the fan on the tester tonight and see what just the fan actually is.

imo though, I don't reakon it would even be worth getting a timer for it as the cost of the timer will be more than what the fan is likely to chew through, if on 24/7 for 2 years. I will report back here the actual costs in a day or so if you are interested.

Sometime ago I read on here somewhere of someone running a cost on a PC fan turned on 24/7... it may have been Raven, not sure now. Nevertheless, after running continuously for 3 days they discontinued because it hadn't even registered 1c.

I have a test kit at home and run a PC fan on the chesty. I did a test last weekend and to run a 320L freezer with collar and a STC1000 with a 12V PC fan on 24/7 it was only 23c for 24 hours.

I will put the fan on the tester tonight and see what just the fan actually is.

imo though, I don't reakon it would even be worth getting a timer for it as the cost of the timer will be more than what the fan is likely to chew through, if on 24/7 for 2 years. I will report back here the actual costs in a day or so if you are interested.
I wasn't worried about the power cost issue, i just dont want to have it running 24/7.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back