Royal Commission into botched home insulation scheme.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
browndog said:
Somebody may be able to confirm/refute this, but I believe they can tax a farmer on the amount of water the dams on his property collect.
My folks property backs onto a dam that adjoins several other property's. If you want to irrigate from it, (and a couple do - market gardeners) you need to have a permit. Which don't come for free.

Their holiday house at Yamba has a jetty out the front. About 4m x 2m. It costs in the order of $500 per year to have it. If you don't want it, they'll pull it down and restore the bank at your expense.
Oddly, strip of land between the house and river is public right of way, the jetty however is private. Problem is, I guess, if the jetty was no longer yours, it would be the responsibility of the council, who would now have to maintain it. Which would cost money. Principally in the form of a yearly going over with a paint brush and a pail of Taubmans. Outrageously expensive by any measure.
So obviously, it would be better to rip it down and have no one enjoy it.

Dave70 said:
My folks property backs onto a dam that adjoins several other property's. If you want to irrigate from it, (and a couple do - market gardeners) you need to have a permit. Which don't come for free.

Their holiday house at Yamba has a jetty out the front. About 4m x 2m. It costs in the order of $500 per year to have it. If you don't want it, they'll pull it down and restore the bank at your expense.
Oddly, strip of land between the house and river is public right of way, the jetty however is private. Problem is, I guess, if the jetty was no longer yours, it would be the responsibility of the council, who would now have to maintain it. Which would cost money. Principally in the form of a yearly going over with a paint brush and a pail of Taubmans. Outrageously expensive by any measure.
So obviously, it would be better to rip it down and have no one enjoy it.
That council pays my wages, so hold up there big fella :lol:

shaunous said:
That council pays my wages, so hold up there big fella :lol:
Interested in time sharing a jetty on the Clarence River?

It's got a sink and rod holders.

Dave70 said:

Run out a power lead for a beer fridge and bingo,prime water front real estate

Dave70 said:

Im not a big fan of Yamba mate. So i'll leave this to someone else who'd appreciate it more :lol: Never have been, probably never will. I go to the place once a year for the wifes 1st cousins memorial surf race. That's it.

http://jacoblollbackday.com.au/

With you there on Yamba...nice...but....yeah..

I like Illuka...but you need a packed lunch to get there....

I can honestly say I've never been to Iluka. Pretty bad for a Grafton boy.

You havnt missed anything.....its like Coutts...but with water..

Haha, surely it cant be as good as Coutts can it? :lol:

shaunous said:
I was waiting for this to come out.

Thats how it works, you dont have to become a conspiracy theorist for that one.

1. Government hands out rebate
2. Government sits tiddling thumbs for some time untill the plebs have forgotten about it
3. Government taxes said item and makes money plus more out of the original rebate they offered.

Win Win.
For that reason I never claimed a rebate and plumbed my tanks in myself all 12 of them, I just think that the council may use Google Earth to catch any water tanks not on their list if they do want to claim a rate or tax
The tax office in the U.K. employ readers for used car sales to catch the back yarders.

Ducatiboy stu said:
In NSW there is (basically) a licence on the size of the dam you can have on your property. The licence depends on a few factors. It relates to the size of your property, the rainfall band it falls in, the size of the dam and if it is within a direct water course. They dont care if the dam is full or empty. Most farm dams do not require a licence. Its only when a dam is built that is of a size within a rainfall band that can affect flow into rivers and creeks that you need a licence

There is no "tax" on the amount of water, well not in NSW. ( Maybe in the the great state of QLD...but **** knows what strange things go on up in that great state )

I have a few mates that work in the lands dept and the way it is worked out is very sensible. You can look up the nsw lands website and get all the info you need
I've just applied for a new dam. Because I already have dams to the limit of my harvestable right, I need a permit for a new dam, the charge for the application is $1300. I can do this because I have a water extraction license for my creek, I pay about $100 a year for license fees. Without the license I wouldn't be able to build the new dam (legally) because I wouldn't have rights to the water. In effect I have to pay for the water in my dam, but only because it is more than my normal water harvesting rights.

Hey OP,

Just found this thread.

And its was the state governments that where in charge of licencing,safety and regulations under state based OHwS laws. The feds funded it...but they where not responsible for the state based laws that where broken in the first place. If the states did there job, no one would have been killed.
Whilst I have the utmost sympathy for those poor sods who lost their lives (And for those whose homes were lost) in the implementation of this rushed scheme don't you think that the person employing them is to blame for not giving them proper training in the first place before running for the money at full speed?

I fail to see how K. Rudd can be held responsible for the training of those at the pointy end of the scheme when the role of a PM (Any PM) is above such mundane matters & point you to Stu's quote above & the posts of many others.

I see NO reason at all to have an inquiry into this other than for the political purposes that are obviously obvious to anyone unless of course, the posters are related to our currant headkicker PM or just don't know any better? :p

Some selective minds conveniently forget how Australia survived the GFC in great shape. ;)

I'm rather regretful that I've been sucked into a political thread & would love to have an AHB where politics & political threads get the arse quick smart.

Just (Politely) saying. :beer:

As were others we&l.
Looks like your eyes aren't so wide open after all? :p

Please give me a list (From No1 down) of countries who best survived the GFC. :beer:

When GFC hit, China went into a keep everyone working mode by infrastructure, they were building things they didn't even need, of course Australia was still providing all the resources that China needed that is what saved us from feeling the full effect of the GFC nothing to do with Kevin Rudd blowing money on stupid schemes which hadn't had any forethought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZewnCkJsJY

Screenshot_2014-03-28-21-09-20.png

Consumption was the reason we did so well in the gfc. China's need to produce the world's goods. Australian coal,iron ore,Wheat.
Same can be said for Canada.
Most other countries on the list are value adding and trading goods sold to us (and the rest of the world).
Interesting is the addition of New Zealand I'm shore many people in Nz wouldn't agree they came though unscathed.

Yeh whatever we&l
Whatever you say mate but still haven't heard from the OP re his original post?

Silly enough to get involved in a political thread after a beer or two but not too silly to give it the arse right now. :lol:

Sharks are sharks are sharks are sharks whatever their colour or persuasion & I repeat my words above --------------

I would love to have an AHB where politics & political threads get the arse quick smart.

Strangely Scooby, Brazil isn't mentioned in that list. Being a supplier to China as we are I would have thought that they should have been nearer the top.
TidalPete, though your political beliefs are different to mine, its your call and I respect that, if we all thought and voted the same we would be living in a shit world.

From what I've read Brazils consumption to export ratio is to high.
As well the infrastructure and general efficiency of they're exports is lacking.
Geographical location plays a role as well.

We talked about this before in the politics thread. At the time the home insulation scheme employed a shitload of people, the shit kicking dole bludging type of people (many of whom I knew at the time) who if hey weren't employed by this, would have been straight to the dole queue getting paid to do nothing at all. The very fact that these people had extra cash to burn, and aren't the 'saving' type, meant that every dollar they were paid was instantly recycled into the service industries, stimulating the economy, and yielding GST for the state govs.

A side issue (but related) was the BER program. I work for a small-mid size engineering firm, and for a couple of years there a good portion (maybe 10%) of our work was for national buildplan. So that program was employing everyone from labourers, through to trades, to surveyors, engineers, architects directly, and as a result, they spent it on services, and didn't default on their ******* mortgages. The economy was stimulated.

I'm not trying to say that the stimulus measures saved the day, but they definitely made a marked difference, over many sectors, and QUICKLY.

The numbskulls who stapled foil sheets to live 240v cables, well that's Darwinism in action isn't it. People die every day for doing stupid shit and we don't blame the government.

Latest posts

Back