Royal Commission into botched home insulation scheme.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I installed batts for about 6 months when I was at uni for a bit of extra cash. The rediculously dirty and sweaty conditions ended any further work I would do, and for an abnormally sweaty man like myself, it was just too uncomfortable to continue.

The first day me and my mate (we both worked installing them together) were just told to lay them down in any spaces we found on top of the ceiling. That was our training.

Luckily for us we weren't dumb enough to install them over lights or anything like that. Not sure how many other installers they had who wouldn't have known any better..

The Australian isn't a news site, it's a celebrity gossip and Pell/Reihart/Abbott propaganda funnel courtesy of Murdoch. Thanks for the real link.

sponge said:
The first day me and my mate (we both worked installing them together) were just told to lay them down in any spaces we found on top of the ceiling. That was our training.

Luckily for us we weren't dumb enough to install them over lights or anything like that. Not sure how many other installers they had who wouldn't have known any better..
So...do you blame your employer for cutting corners and being dodgy.....or blame those that set the scheme up.

I dont think the fed gov wrote as part of the scheme " its ok to cut corners to get it done"

Although the employer was a school friends dad who owns his own reputable construction company, I'd be pointing the finger directly at the employer.

The amount of dodgy companies that opened up purely to cash in on the scheme was amazing. Yes, the government may have paid for the scheme but in the end it came down to lack of training by the employer who was just keen to shove as many batts into ceilings as they could and make a mint by doing so.

The more houses they could complete in a day, the more money they made. Simple. I'm sure there's a few companies around who would have given some sort of training to their employees, but 95% of the companies involved in this scheme purely wanted to see quantity over quality.

The amount of dodgy guys was increadable. The mob here in town had a fleet of cheap ass shit box vans and small pantecks and there sole goal was to get as much done as quick and cheap as possible. They where f&%g used car dealers rorting the system. The even had the hide to get on national TV out the front of parliament with Rudd pleading to keep the scheme open cause they had a fleet of vehicles and a shed full of insulation to deal with. Made me sick to my stomach whatching them sleazy fuckers splashed all over the national news

This royal commission is a royal waste of time and money. Any party in government screw things up. Now this is setting a precedent so that when labour get in power they can start royal commissions into Abbotts government which isn't full of saints. More waste to come.

Ducatiboy stu said:
So...do you blame your employer for cutting corners and being dodgy.....or blame those that set the scheme up. All of them.

I dont think the fed gov wrote as part of the scheme " its ok to cut corners to get it done" Even though that's exactly what they did.
There should have been proper planning, training, regulation and certification, all of which are the responsibility of governments. The fact that dodgy operators were able to get on board and cash in, is a further indictement on the poor planning at government level.

It was a rush job and it was cobbled together on the run by ministers and bureaucrats who were no doubt being pushed along by an irrational Rudd.

One of the kids that died was 16 years old, others were in their early 20's, deaths that could have easily been avoided.

They did not write in "Its ok to cut corners to get it done" Thats just bullshit. Sure the setting up of the funding was fast tracked...but considering how long it would normally take funding to get thru it needed to be done.

The gov required that installers where licenced & trained. The states took over that part. Some as the school hall funding. The NSW gov where taking a big cut of the funding to line there treadury accounts, then allowing the big builders to milk it for all its worth. When you looked at what the private schools built for less money it makes it hard to point the finger at the fed gov, as all they did was supply the money. Same as the pink batts scheme

Black Devil Dog said:
One of the kids that died was 16 years old, others were in their early 20's, deaths that could have easily been avoided.
Just like all those kids in Afghanistan…...

professional_drunk said:
This royal commission is a royal waste of time and money. Any party in government screw things up. Now this is setting a precedent so that when labour get in power they can start royal commissions into Abbotts government which isn't full of saints. More waste to come.
Except if you are family or friends of the deceased.

Ducatiboy stu said:
They did not write in "Its ok to cut corners to get it done" Thats just bullshit. Sure the setting up of the funding was fast tracked...but considering how long it would normally take funding to get thru it needed to be done.

The gov required that installers where licenced & trained. The states took over that part. Some as the school hall funding. The NSW gov where taking a big cut of the funding to line there treadury accounts, then allowing the big builders to milk it for all its worth. When you looked at what the private schools built for less money it makes it hard to point the finger at the fed gov, as all they did was supply the money. Same as the pink batts scheme
I believe one of Rudd's staffers was given two whole days to cost it out.

Ducatiboy stu said:
They did not write in "Its ok to cut corners to get it done" Thats just bullshit.
Ok, I didn't mean that they wrote that, I was just quoting you, but given they way they rushed it together, they certainly had a philosophy of "cut corners to get it done".

browndog said:
Except if you are family or friends of the deceased.
There is no dispute its was a tradgedy and never should have happened. But a Coronial inquest pointed the finger at the employer & the state regulator. That is fact. The Royal Commision is a waste considering its chasing a Liberal agenda. Sure, the will find that the funding was rushed, but they will also find that it was the same reasons that the coronial inquest found as to why those people, unecesarily lost their lives.

A Royal commision can be a double edged sword. If it doesnt go Abbotts way, people wont be happy that he wasted time and money on it. Its interesting that its only a very short commision with a rather narrow term of refference. Should that not be saying something as to the motivation behind it.

manticle said:
Whichever side of politics it comes from, an enquiry is still valid.
Holding an inquiry is valid however a Royal Commission is not. Investigating the haphazard, thoughtless meanderings of a Prime Minister who should never have been allowed anywhere near policy formulation should not be within the remit of a Royal Commission.

It should be about how and why those guys died. Both sides of goverment are both equally guilty of poor policy decision,waste,miss management etc. And if anyone thinks that one side is worse than the other, then you are seriously kidding yourself. If we had a Royal Commission every time these things happened we would run out of Judges and lawyers. A proper enquiry is one thing, but using it for political gain makes it no better than what you are trying to investigate.

Ducatiboy stu said:
It should be about how and why those guys died. Both sides of goverment are both equally guilty of poor policy decision,waste,miss management etc. And if anyone thinks that one side is worse than the other, then you are seriously kidding yourself. If we had a Royal Commission every time these things happened we would run out of Judges and lawyers. A proper enquiry is one thing, but using it for political gain makes it no better than what you are trying to investigate.
What is the political gain? what is abbott's agenda Stu? I don't think this is being run so the Libs/Nats can go har har har.

browndog said:
What is the political gain? what is abbott's agenda Stu? I don't think this is being run so the Libs/Nats can go har har har.
You think Abbott is doing it because he wants a fair, balanced outcome ....... He set the terms of refference and appointed a Liberal leaning Commisioner.....

Back