Roo Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattcarty

Reaction score
hi

my old man told me a while ago about beer turning rooey, basically if beer is cooled then allowed to heat back to room temperature too many times, the taste goes a bit off and the beer gives off a slight smell that is similar to the smell of a kangaroo, i never did ask whether that is the meat of kangaroo or the fur of kangaroo

anyway

not that i want to doubt my old man's beer drinking wisdom but is there any truth to this?

the reason i ask is a while ago i did a JSGA clone, tasted a bit rough but smoothed out a little as time went along but still had a slight after taste that i didnt like so i took it off the tap and made sure it was sealed, put it aside to make room for other brew and planned on hooking it back up when i got around to it to see if time helped smooth it out a bit more, the keg is only half full.

at the moment i have a plale ale and a lager on tap both quite nice. but probably about 3/4 full so was thinking in the interest of wanting to brew more and get my spare kegs filled would like to empty the JSGA keg

if i took off the lager from tap hook up the JSGA if it taste alright knock it off then put the lager back on tap. would the lager suffer from warming up then cooling down again? i didnt care to much about the JSGA warming up again as it tasted abit off anyway but the lager is a nice drop IMHO.

any tips

congratulations to all that actualy bothered reading this entire post, it was a long one.

cheers
carty

My father believes there is a similar sort of effect when you warm up beer (to room temperature) from the fridge and cool it down again... he calls it "burnt" beer.

I call it "bullshit".

The only possible issue is if the beer warming up is if it's done in the sun and skunking occurs.

Taste is very easily swayed by the mind with the power of suggestion. Give a VB drinker a homebrew in a PET bottle, they won't like it, bottle it in a VB stubby without them knowing and it's a whole different ball game.

My father believes there is a similar sort of effect when you warm up beer (to room temperature) from the fridge and cool it down again... he calls it "burnt" beer.

I call it "bullshit".

The only possible issue is if the beer warming up is if it's done in the sun and skunking occurs.

Taste is very easily swayed by the mind with the power of suggestion. Give a VB drinker a homebrew in a PET bottle, they won't like it, bottle it in a VB stubby without them knowing and it's a whole different ball game.
I proved that with my stepson who WAS a home brew sceptic who loves his Corona and raved about my 'solly cerveza' :lol:
The downside was that I had to drink a 6 pack to get the bottles :icon_vomit:

solly_cerveza.JPG

I have force-chilled beer to drinking temperature in -23C until it reaches about 3 - 5C. It certainly tastes rather different to beer slowly chilled to 3C.

Can't say I've ever let beer warm up, aside from drinking too slowly at the pub (rare, rare, rare).

Cheers - Fermented.

Or if its repeatedly warmed to excessively high temps, like in the back of a car on a hot summer's day. I imagine that's the root issue behind it.

Fermented, I find that a beer that is too freshly chilled hasn't had time for the carbonation to "calm down" enough. A bit longer on chill tends to make the bead finer and the overall beer more coherent.

Yes, you're right Kai.

It didn't matter if it was something that had been only two weeks bottle conditioning (quick and dirty summer brews) or something that spent three months waiting.

The taste wasn't bad, per se, just unimpressive comparatively.

Moral of the story? Prepare well and chill more than enough more than a day in advance. :)

And don't let it warm up. :D

Cheers - Fermented.

Kai would be on the money. A car on a hot day would reach pasteurisation temperature (which can be low 60's to around 70 degrees celsius I believe).
I have no idea what this means technically or for taste, but often tinnies that have been on a road trip taste rubbish.

Hehe

I had a truck driver offer me a VB out of a six pack he kept under his drivers seat, when I declined he told me its your loss and went psssht, and swilled.

I bet it tasted roo'ey :)

Latest posts

Back